Remote Backup / Restore Errors Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

I have seen on a few backup servers this error come up all of a sudden after running well for several months. Something within an update possibly changing something.

The error:
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

Details:
exit: 1
[FATAL] Unable to connect to Asterisk Manager from /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf, aborting

At that point asterisk won’t run, you cant restore from another point.
I checked ownership & flags on the file but nothing looks wrong.

If I ran it by hand I got the following:
./retrieve_conf
[FATAL] Unable to connect to Asterisk Manager from /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf, aborting

Any help/ideas appreciated!

Today I was doing a normal ring group update, and when I pressed Submit, the menus all came back with a ton of missing options. Extensions and ring groups were gone, so was the Backup & Restore, System Admin, etc…, on and on.

I was stumped. So I got into one of the time groups, made a tiny change, and pressed Submit so that I could see if the Red “Apply Config” bar would appear, and it did. Once I pressed the Apply Config, I got the following error:

retrieve_conf encountered an error: 255

When I expanded on the error, it provided me with the following info:

found language dir fr for directory, not installed on system, skipping
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function recordings_get_file() in /var/www/html/admin/modules/findmefollow/functions.inc.php on line 182

I deduced (lucky guess is more like it), that the system was saying to me that something was either not installed or not running. So I took a look at the modules admin, and found 18 modules were disabled and waiting for an update.

What prompted all of this was a restore I’d done earlier in the day, when one of my inbound routes wouldn’t release a time-group I was trying to take it out of. So I opted to do a restore from a backup which I’d done just before the last round of module updates.

I upgraded the modules in the order the system normally requires, and it’s all been running well since.

I don’t know if this helps you at all, but I thought I’d share it with you in case it helps to steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Ed