Recommendations for SIP hard phones?

Yes, I changed the “host=dynamic” and “User ID is phone number” because I thought I was changing them to the correct values.

The part of our LAN that the phones and * are on permits only static IP addressing, therefore it’s not possible for any host to be dynamic, as far as I understand it.

As far as I understand SIP (which is certainly more than Joe Average), the SIP User ID (231 etc. in my case) is the phone number.

So, yes, it was deliberate, in the belief that I was setting them correctly. The docs I’ve found don’t suggest otherwise.

Anyway, thanks for your help - I now have 5 registered extensions (2 Pingtel and 3 Grandstream), and I can call between them. I shall remove the duplicate DTMF settings too - thanks again for pointing those out.

Grandstream Parameters that must match the PBX

You must configure the password for voicemail, the authenticate IDs. The following parameters must match for a GrandStream phone to communicate with the Free PBX Server, as follows:

1. PBX Configuration Browser
    Using your browse access the FreePBX Administration, then click on the Setup tab, select Extensions and then select or add the Extension number.

There is a sub-section headed “This device uses SIP technology”. In the secret field option enter a strong password that will match the Authenticate Password set in the Grandstream phone.

NOTE: Failure to select a strong password could leave your system prone to hackers and thieves wishing to use your system for long distance calls.

Under Voicemail & Directory, the Voicemail Password can be set to the same as the extension unless you have a need for higher security.

At the bottom of this page click on Submit, Apply Configuration Changes and then Continue with reload to apply any changes / updates.

1. GrandStream Device Configuration Browser under the Account 1 tab:

The SIP Server must match the Ringdale PBX.

The SIP User ID and Authenticate ID field are set to the extension number of the phone.
User ID is the user part of the SIP address of the phone and this is usually the information displayed as Caller ID on the LCD. e.g., typically it is a phone number or extension number or a user’s name. Authentication ID is an ID used strictly for authentication purpose when the phone attempts to contact the SIP server. This may or may not be the same as User ID.

The Authenticate Password should be set to the strong password that matches the Secret set in the FreePBX Extension setup. NOTE: Failure to select a strong password could leave your system prone to hackers and thieves wishing to use your system for long distance calls.

Make certain that there is a check in Send DTMF: "in-audio” and “via RTP (RFC2833)”.

Set the Voice Mail UserID to the same as you configured in the FreePBX Administration – Extension setup.

To save the changes, at the bottom of the page click on Update and then Reboot for them to take effect.

1. GrandStream Phone Configuration
    If a browser is not handy, you can configure the Grandstream SIP Password at the phone itself. From the phone hardware, select the round ‘setup’ button (in the middle of the four arrows on the right side of the phone), scroll down and select Config, SIP, and SIP Password. Enter the same password for the Secret in the FreePBX Extension setup as used in step (1) above and then OK. Note that whenever you go back to this SIP Password selection there is no password displayed (not even a * to indicate an entry). If the SIP Password is not correct then the phone will not connect to the PBX Server.