Question regarding upgrade path from 2.11 to current

Hi folks

We have here a FreePBX 2.11.0.43 on a debian wheezy with around 350 phones, which needs to be upgraded. Sorry to bother you with some questions, but I’d like to know if I’m on the right track :slight_smile:

Is the link below still the recommended upgrade path?

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Manually+Upgrading+the+FreePBX+GUI#ManuallyUpgradingtheFreePBXGUI-Upgradingto2.10,2.11or12.0

IIUC, this means dist-upgrade to jessie then to stretch - including astrisk upgrade from 11 to 13 - then upgrade freePBX 2.11 to 12, and after that use the update tool or use the conversion tools like decribed in the link below?

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Elastix+and+PBXinaFlash+to+FreePBX+Distro+Conversion+Tool

Also, what Asterisk version is recommended? I’d guess the one from stretch repos (1:13.14.1~dfsg-2+deb9u2) is fine?

Thank you & kind regards

PS: The README.md of FreePBX 14 still says its version 13.

I would on wheezy upgrade to freepbx 12 and build asterisk 11 from source if you are not there yet.
Then dist-upgrade to jessie. then at least to FreePBX 13 asterisk 13 . but you can happily go to 14/14 on jessie I would leave stretch alone just yet.

You might be wise to mondoarchive at the beginning and each major step for that ‘belt and braces’ security feeling

1 Like

If your trunk configuration is relatively simple and you don’t have a lot of IVRs set up, you might consider installing a Distro version and importing the extensions from the Bulk Handler.

This is exactly why the FreePBX Conversion tool was created, as you discovered!

The downside (if you want to call it that) is that you don’t get to compile all your Asterisk packages, as we manage all the packages and upgrades for you. If you want to keep on Debian, you can use the built-in version upgrader (go to module admin, and download it) to get to 12 and then 13. FreePBX 14 and higher require newer versions of PHP, so you may need to back up and restore the database and filesystem and restore to a new machine anyway.

Basically, use the upgrader 8)

thanks for the answers. as its on a VM anyway, I will certainly do a lots of snapshots :slight_smile: