Question about "Submit" and Apply configuration changes"

Greetings,

I have a question on what the difference is between (submit changes) and (apply configuration changes).

Is it similar to say a Cisco router or a managed switch where the commands are put into effect immediately after pressing enter on the cli, but they are not written to the file system until the “wr mem” “apply configuration changes” button is pressed?

Or is there a difference in what the two functions (submit and apply) do? If so, can someone please explain it to me?

Thanks

P…

Asterisk requires a soft reload to read the config files. Apply generates the Asterisk config files and performs a soft reset (does not effect call processing).

Apply writes the changes to the configuration database that is used to generate the configs.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be such a dummy about this.

If I understand you correctly, Apply changes, does three things.

1. Generates the config files.
    2.Write the changes to the config database
  2. Performs a soft reset that does not affect call processing.

What does the “submit” button on each page do? Obviously I know it confirms the changes that were made on the page, but what does it do in the background as compared to the “apply” button.

Thanks again.

P… on the page

submit takes the changes that you make on the web page, sends them to the server which then checks and commits them to the mysql database that FreePBX uses. Once a Submit is clicked and it does it’s work it’s not possible to undo the changes.

Thanks fskrotzki,

It’s getting clearer day by day.

P…

Sorry for the confusion, I did not type what I intended, the post should have read:

Asterisk requires a soft reload to read the config files. “Apply Configuration Changes” generates the Asterisk config files and performs a soft reset (does not effect call processing). This process is visually enumerated once the fly is actually in the frogs mouth <>

The submit button on each configuration page sends the data on the web page to the server and writes the changes to the configuration database that is used to generate the Asterisk configuration files.

we had your back… :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much for your patience. I truly appreciate it.

P…

Just for further clarification, this arrangement allows you to make many changes to the system and then apply the changes all at once.

This comes in handy when there are changes that if applied in steps would cause an interruption of service.