Provision Cisco CP8841 to FreePBX using Chan-SCCP

Now for your next trick, provision a Yealink phone to CUCM!

Same path I used. Both on Exsi 5.5 and moved it to a exsi 6.7.3.
I also used the video, you mentioned before, and I applied the UCMP patch to Asterisk
version: Current Asterisk Version: 18.20.0. So newer than in the video.

And I did not disable PJSIP, so I can register regular sip-client’s as well.
Currently I am fighting the TFTP server and it’s file-remapping feature,
so the TFTP folder doesn’t get cluttered.

I don’t know about the future of Chan-SCCP. There is no expalantion how the get a
Hybrid SIP-Phone like the 88xx series connected to Chan-SCCP.
The Chan-SCCP-Manager GUI is throwing a lot of errors, and the provisioning XML’s
don’t work. Not even for general Cisco-SIP.

Last but not least the last code commit’s to Chan-SCCP date 3 Years of ago,
and the last change is 3 month’s ago.
And that last one is more a memo to what’s not OK with it.

• The Issue you mentioned, means “He got it to build”, but had no phone to test it.

I still have a Box running the Chan-SCCP driver, so I can return to the project.

I think Chan-SCCP’s death knell was when Cisco released SIP firmware for it’s older 69xx and 89xx and other phone models that shipped from the factory with Enterprise SCCP firmware. Then later EOLed the phones.

The SIP firmware for those older phones is readily available on various locations on the Internet, for example 3CX has it available for download. Cisco has not filed takedown notices so they likely figure that it’s pointless since the newer x8xx series phones that can run 3PCC firmware are almost as cheap as the older x9xx phones on Ebay and places like that and that the more used x8xx series phones flood the Internet the more that the older phones that shipped with SCCP firmware are going to be just thrown in the trash instead of someone taking the time to convert them over to SIP and use them with the usecallmanager patch.

When you can get 8941 videophones in quantity for around $10 a phone and 8841 videophones in quantity for around $15 a phone, who is going to take the time to buy the 8941 phones and flash them to SIP when the 8841s already come with SIP on them.

What people don’t understand is that it’s not like this. Cisco’s throught with their enterprise phones is that not only does the phone system provision the phone in the same step it firmware-flashes the phone to whatever firmware the admin of the system wants. If you build your PBX to do this, both provision and upgrade the phones, then it doesen’t matter what firmware is on that used phone you buy - once you plug it in, the phone will update itself.

Too many people putting together these smaller phone systems view provisioning and installing firmware as 2 separate steps. This attitude is probably coming from people viewing a phone system as a cloud thing, and the phones as “my phone” and “your cloud PBX” So they pickup a used 8941 with SCCP firmware on it and they just assume it would be a huge problem to flash it over to SIP. They don’t understand you just have to list the firmware filename in the XML config file for the phone, put it on the provisioning server then plug in the phone and forget about it. It’s why so many of the how-to videos on flashing SIP to the phones show people doing it with Windows 10 and some freeware tftp server.

The other issue is you don’t want mixed SCCP and SIP phones on the network or any call between those phones will have to be routed through the PBX and that affects call quality. It’s not that noticeable on audio but it’s VERY noticeable on video. If I replace an 8941 running SCCP with an 8845 even though the video screens are the same size I get at least a quadrupling of frame rate for internal video calls since the call can go direct from phone to phone once the PBX sets up the call.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.