Pleae help a newbie with vitelity registration

i have been searching - fighting - reading for a week now and i cannot seem to get ip registrarion with vitelity.i have used their setup wizard multiple time multiple ways and cannot get it.i bypassed the freepbx box and connected my x-lite directly to vitelity and it worked fine.is their anyway to troubleshoot registration?should i be able to register using just the string with the peer detail boxes blank?i dont have a staic ip but i am using dyndns but i have also followed their static setup verifing that my address did not change.i have ports 5060-5061 and 10k-20k forwarded and have even tried it with dmz.is there a way to "ping vitelity from the asterisk box to make sure everything is good there?please help i am pulling my hair out
-thanks

Why don’t you post a cleaned up(sanitized) version of your config?

That way one of us can compare against a working config…

inbound

outbound callerid: chris NPANXXNXXX(with brackets)

max channels: 2
trunk name: vitel-inbound

peer details:

type=friend
username=[username]
secret=[password]
context=from-trunk ; [my did #]
insecure=very
canreinvite=no
host=inbound18.vitelity.net
nat=yes
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

register string:
username:[email protected]:5060

outbound

outbound callerid: chris NPANXXNXXX(with brackets)

max channels: 2

trunk name: vitel-outbound

peer details:
type=friend
username=[username]
secret=[password]
fromuser=[username]
trustrpid=yes
sendrpid=yes
context=from-trunk ; [my did #]
canreinvite=no
host=outbound.vitelity.net
nat=yes

register string:
left blank

Here are my vitel-inbound

type=friend
username=xxxx
secret=xxxx
context=from-trunk
insecure=very
canreinvite=no
host=inbound1.vitelity.net
disallow=all
allow=ulaw&gsm

vitel-outbound

username=xxxx
type=friend
trustrpid=yes
sendrpid=yes
secret=xxxx
nat=yes
host=outbound1.vitelity.net
fromuser=xxxx
disallow=all
context=from-trunk
canreinvite=no
allow=ulaw&gsm

From your freepbx machine can you ping inbound1.vitelity.net?
If not, confirm your DNS settings or enter the IP address in the “host=” line, for whatever inbound1.vitelity.net points to

well it resulted with:

From 64.2.142.26.ptr.us.xo.net (64.2.142.26): icmp_seq=50 (BAD CHECKSUM)Destination Host Unreachable

same result when i ping 64.2.142.26

i got connectivity yesterday when i was playing either with sip_custom.conf or nat_conf but i cannot remember which
i was following a tutorial for entering :
externhost=dyndnsaddy
localip=internal subnet/subnetmask

i was sort of confused on what my internal subnet is but i used 10.10.10.0 and my router is 10.10.10.1
anyway i lost connection today when i rebooted my machine and now i am trying to figured out how to find/ edit these files using the linux cli i am a dos guy and this is my first linux experience

This is sip_nat.conf that you were playing with. It should have no affect if set up properlt.

You only need:

nat=yes
externhost=dyndnsaddy
localip=10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0

Get into SSH
type:
asterisk -rvvv

Then type:
sip show registry

Paste what you get from there into here and ill take a look. Vitelity in my opinion is one of the worst providers. I am having the feeling that the issue is happening on their end and they just wont admit it unless you make them feel stupid, because it did work for you yesterday, as you mentioned.

inbound18.vitelity.net:5060 dafunkdawg 120 request sent

i have been trying to edit sip_nat.conf today using nano and when i try to write to it it says there is no file there

Check your trunk settings and registration string. Are you sure vitelity gave you inbound18.vitelity.net and not inbound1.vitelity.net? Make sure you are using the right inbound server by going to the support page and youll find links on configuring freepbx or trixbox (even though you are not using trixbox. no difference)

Also make sure your username and password is correct. Your sip password IS NOT your account password. It is actually found in the Support page and you will see a link to view the general settings and username and password or something like that.

Make sure your router also allows outgoing and incoming UDP port 5060 and 10000 to 20000 UDP

Request sent can mean either a bad username and password or a bad host entered. But it is getting rejected.

none of that has been changed since i had service yesterday i made several calls and even a 20 minute conversation one one of them.i am pretty sure it started workingafter fooling with the sip_nat file but now i cannot figure out where it went.if i do ls /etc/asterisk it shows a file named sip_nat.conf so then i do nano -w /etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf write the config settings and then get error writing : etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf no such directory why would that be?

I dont see how editing that file would cause harm. Request sent means that it reached the server but there’s a problem. Can you confirm all your settings with your user portal? You never know. Just check.

no such directory:

you need to type /etc/asterisk… not etc/asterisk/whatever

well i figured that since i could not ping successfully then i have a network problem so i netconfig to to dhcp and now i am good. i guess i need to play with it and see what i come up with. thanks for all of your help and if you have any suggestions i am all ears

If it works while you are on DHCP, you need to properly set your DNS servers
Instead of netconfig use system-config-network
You can set DNS servers from there. Just grab any windows computer on your network and type ipconfig /all in the command prompt and youll get the DNS server from there. Or on your freepbx box, while you are still under DHCP, type ifconfig and youll get some info