PJSIP Trunk, Multiple Outbound Trunks with same provider?

I’m curious, what’s the best way or is it acceptable to create multiple PJSIP trunks for just an outbound trunk for multiple outbound CIDs.

Scenario:

We have phones that are tied to specific uses. Instead of dialing a feature code or a prefix I want to assign certain extensions to only dial out on certain trunks which would have a specific CID. I’m not sure if I’m over complicating this or missing something.

But Phone 1, 2 and 3 should by default dial out on CID 123-123-1234 where as Phones 4, 5 and 6 should dial out on 222-222-2222. I don’t want to have to enter a feature code or prefix. So instead I figure on the extension I can configure it to only allow it to dial out on a trunk configured with the 222-222-2222 CID for example. Where as the other phones will dial out on the trunk 123-123-1234 configured CID.

So should I just create a second trunk that’s only configured for outbound registration or is there something I’m missing? It’s with VoIP Street if it matters.

Thanks!

You wouldn’t do this with multiple trunks. That is just a can of worms that does not need to be open.

You do this in Outbound Routes. You can create an Outbound Route that sets the CallerID you want for that call and you can using pattern matching to match your patterns and device CallerID to tighten up the matches.

So an Outbound Route that has 1NXXNXXXXXX with a blank CallerID field will match for any user dialing that pattern (Standard US/Canada) and use the Route CID you have set.

If you make another Outbound Route with the same pattern but put 205 (example) in the CallerID field next to it and put it above the “catch-all” then when 205 dials that pattern, they will use the Route CID of the new Outbound Route.

Depending on how many CIDs, the matches, etc it could be a handful of Outbound Routes but you should be doing CallerID settings at the trunk level. Just use one trunk and let the Outbound Routes do the rest of the work.

1 Like

Like @BlazeStudios said, you can do it at the Outbound Route level, but it really sounds like you want it to happen at the extension which you can do as well. Set the Caller ID for the extension to the outbound caller ID you want to use and then don’t override the Caller ID on the way out. The CID set by the phone will carry through to the end of the line, assuming you and your provider doesn’t override the CID you set in the call.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.