PJSIP Direct Media / Direct Audio

Is Direct Audio the same Direct Media? If so, and I have RDP forwarded from any source to my FreePBX box, is it safe to enable, i.e., Check Yes to Enable Direct Media?

What are the security concerns having a few thousand RDP ports open to anyone pointed at my box?

Thanks guys very much!

directmedia (chan_sip) and direct_media (chan_pjsip) allow the media to flow directly between the two endpoints. Asterisk is a B2BUA so by default all the media goes from endpoint -> Asterisk -> Endpoint. Setting this to yes makes it Endpoint -> Endpoint.

However, if the endpoints are behind NAT this is a bad thing. Direct media is usually only recommended when there isn’t any NAT and all the endpoints use the same codecs (no transcoding)

1 Like

Direct media + NAT on a B2BUA is just not going to work outside your LAN, if you want that, look for a SIP Proxy outside your LAN
Direct media on a public internet host will defeat any “in-call” PBX abilities after such completion, that is the other side of a B2BUA, (there are other ramifications)

Thanks you guys! Good info to know.

I will set Enable Direct Media to ‘No’ and remove my RDP forwarding from my firewall/router.

John

Depending on your router and how you configured it , you might still need RTP forwarding to your PBX.

You can also leave RDP (by default 3389) forwarding on if you use windows like remote desktop.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.