Page Pro Multicast Paging / EPM Template Settings for Grandstream Phones?

I have End Point Manager commercial module installed and have a template setup for a Grandstream GXP2130 and I just purchased the Page Pro module to allow me to use the Multicast paging feature with these phones. I have confirmed that the GXP2130 supports multicast paging (config doc is available here)

With the Page Pro module enabled, I see that I can add a multicast address and port when I add a new Paging Group. However, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the EPM templates for Grandstream GXP21XX models that allow me to set a programmable button to use Multicast Paging and set the multicast IP address and port. Likewise, there doesn’t appear to be a way to set the multicast “Listening Address” value.

Any thoughts?

There are a number of “P” values in the base file that are specific to multicast paging. Looks like I have some 'sperimenting to do.

Any positive results to share with the class?

There’s a fairly significant bug in the Grandstream GXP-2130, 2140 and 2160 firmware that results in horrible sound quality when multicast multicast pages are initiated from FreePBX. I have an open support ticket with Grandstream and they were initially trying to pawn the problem off as a FreePBX or Asterisk issue. The ticket was opened on April 3rd and they are supposedly looking into the problem but frankly, I don’t see this being fixed any time soon.

Here are the values I’m using on the Grandstream 2130 and 2160 to listen for multicast pages. You’ll need to set the following P values in the base file using EPM:

##############################################################################
##  Settings/Multicast Paging
##############################################################################
# Paging Barge. 0 - Disable, 1 - priority 1, 2 - priority 2, 3 - priority 3, 
# 4 - priority 4, 5 - priority 5, 6 - priority 6, 7 - priority 7, 8 - priority 8,
# 9 - priority 9, 10 - priority 10. Default is 0.
# Number: 0 - 10
# Mandatory

P1566 = 0

# Paging Priority Active. 0 - Disabled, 1 - Enabled
# Number: 0, 1
# Mandatory

P1567 = 0

# Multicast Paging Codec. 18 - G.729A/B, 0 - PCMU, 8 - PCMA, 2 - G.726-32, 9 - G.722
# Number: 18, 0, 8, 2, 9. Default is 0.
# Mandatory

P1568 = 0

### Multicast Listening ### 
# Priority 1
# Listening Address
# String
# This can be any valid multicast IP address and port. The value below is the one we're using
P1569 = 239.200.1.1:6767

# Label
# String

P1570 = Page All 

You can still do multicast paging by using Grandstream’s Multicast Paging mode on a programmable button. The example below sets button 5. You’ll need to download the Grandstream Configuration Template to get the P codes for the other buttons.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Multi-Purpose Keys - GXP2130/2160 only
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
# MPK 5
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
# Key Mode.
# 0 - Speed Dial, 1 - BLF, 2 - Presence Watcher, 3 - eventlist BLF 
# 4 - Speed Dial via active account, 5 - DialDTMF, 6 - Voicemail, 7 - CallReturn
# 8 - Transfer, 9 - CallPark, 10 - Intercom, 11 - LDAP Search, 13 - Multicast Paging
# 14 - Record
# Number: 0-11, 13, 14
# Mandatory
P327 = 13

# Account. 0 - Account 1, 1 - Account 2, 2 - Account 3, 3 - Account 4, 4 - Account 5, 5 - Account 6
# Number: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
# Mandatory
P313 = 0

# Name. Max length allowed is 128 characters.
# String
P314 = Page All

# User ID. Max length allowed is 64 character
# String

# Bedford
P315 = 239.100.1.1:6767
# Billerica
P315 = 239.200.1.1:6767

The sound quality is fine using this method but there are a couple of issues. First, there’s no way to play any kind of introductory tone before the page and it’s pretty weird to suddenly hear a page coming over the speaker phone. Secondly and obviously, you can’t do any of the things that paging pro brings to the table; specifically, pre-recorded messages, and scheduled pages. Also, you’ll need to be running 1.0.4.23 firmware as there are significant issues with earlier versions.

Lastly, I’d urge you to open a support ticket to report the sound quality issue. The more complaints they get, the more likely it’s going to get fixed.

Hope this helps

Old thread but I thought I’d share the answer I found to paging on Grandstream phones. I tried to get the built-in Grandstream multicasting working but couldn’t. Then I stumbled on this old post:

GXP2130 And Intercom Mode

Worked right away and really easy to setup. Of course the two phone settings would have driven me insane trying to figure out. So many thanks anomaly0617.

Duplicating instructions in case that link goes away. This is Grandstream specific but might help others:

Install the Paging and Intercom module in Asterisk and configure a paging extension.
    In your Grandstream phone:
    Under Accounts - Account X - Call Settings
         Allow Auto Answer by Call-Info to Yes
         Custom Call-Info for Auto Answer to answer-after=0 (no quotes).
    Under Settings - Programmable Keys
         Set one of your MPKs like this:
               Mode = Busy Lamp Field (BLF)
               Account = Account X
               Description = All Page
               Value = [Defined Paging Extension]

BTW regarding Grandstream bugs, I’ve had to update the firmware to the latest beta 1.0.7.13 firmware to fix some issues.

The default multicast paging port I use is is 224.0.0.0:987 and it is set in the EPM template for the Grandstream phones.
Click on the model of the phone on which you want to assign buttons at the bottom of the template page. You will see where you can assign values to buttons.
Button type: Multicast Paging
Label: Page All (example)
Value: 224.0.0.0:987

firmware 1.0.4.6 GXP16XX
firmware 1.0.7.25 GXP21XX

sip sip