Outgoing Google Voice calls broken in Asterisk 1.8 (not a FreePBX problem, but affects FreePBX users)

For those of you running a FreePBX-based system that includes a version of Asterisk in the 1.8.x series, and using Google Voice for outgoing calls, you may not be aware that outgoing Google Voice was broken on Friday. The Asterisk folks released a patch file, but (so far) have not released an updated version of Asterisk. The bad part about this problem is that it’s not obvious - the caller dials a number and after a few seconds hears ringing tones, but they are totally fake - in fact the call never goes through. So if you kept calling people yesterday and nobody answered, you might have thought everyone took an early weekend when in fact your calls were going nowhere.

For more information on the problem and information on the patch, you can see this article:

If your Asterisk server stopped putting through outgoing Google Voice calls today, here is the fix — maybe!

If you are running PBX in a Flash (or “Incredible PBX”) then you will want to see this post in the PBX in a Flash forum. I don’t know if or how the other distros are handling this.

how is this patch applied in freepbx? after downloading asterisk and editing the necessary file, I run ./configure and then ./make and it ends with *** [makeopts] Error 1 the only error I see is this: /bin/sh: - : invalid option

The problem is that this is very much dependent on the distribution you are using, since each one seems to have its own preferred upgrade path, and when installing this patch you are essentially doing an Asterisk upgrade. I published an article today entitled How I upgrade Asterisk 1.8 that explains how I personally do an upgrade on one particular system, but I do not mean to suggest that what I do is right for everyone or will work for everyone, because I have some customizations on my system. You may have some different customizations than I, that need to be taken into account. Still, I figure it can’t hurt to show how others go about this process.

I know the Linux purists will hate my method because I actually reboot my system after doing an upgrade (and some guys think you should never have to do that with Linux, but screw them, it’s my system and I’ll reboot if I want to — I find that if I don’t reboot I sometimes have weird issues that magically clear up as soon as I reboot). Of course, if someone else doesn’t want to reboot their system, I’m certainly not going to tell them they must — it’s their system, after all!

thanks. problem was that I needed libxml2-devel and ncurses-devel packages.