Outbound Routes and Dialing Plan

This is my first installation of Asterisk. I am using Digium D40 phones with a Digium 8-port telephony card. I am running FreePBX version 2.11 on Asterisk 11.

I think there is a simple answer to this, but I am unable to find anything to help me. I want to be able to dial a 7-digit local number, a 10-digit long distance number, OR a 3-digit extension without having to press the “Dial” button the phone. Is there a way to do this?

Also, if I dial 7 digits and press the dial button on the phone, the call go through just fine. However, if I press the speaker button and dial the 7-digits, calls “cannot be completed as dial”. Why is that?

Thank you for any input.

You’ll want to look at setting up a digit map for the phone. That’s done here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Digium+Phones+and+FreePBX#DigiumPhonesandFreePBX-DigiumPhonesLineOptions

if you’re using the Digium Phones addon for FreePBX. If you’re not, no biggie, as what you need to worry about is the phone’s digit mapping / dial plan.

An overview of the digit mapping syntax is here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Dial+Plans

Thanks for that. This is where I am currently…

If I dial the number, pick up the handset, the call gets sent immediately when I lift the handset.
If I dial the number, press the speaker button, the call gets sent as soon as I hit the speaker button.
If I pickup the handset OR press the speaker button, THEN dial the number, it says “call cannot be completed as dialed” right after the 3rd digit is dialed.

Can you tell me if this is normal behavior for this system or can I change this with a different digit map/dialing plan? If yes, where and how???

I used this digit mapping on my extensions (configured from 100-128)and it worked for me. Thanks!

911|411|611|011xxx.T3|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xx.T3|[0-8]xx.T3

Scratch that. This is what I am using now and it is working great. Thanks, Dicko!

911|411|611|011xxx.T3|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxx|[0-8]xx.T3