OTRR - One Touch Retrospective Recording example?

Has anybody got an example of OTRR?

This is where a call is recorded from the start, but if a softkey/feature code is dialled, then is not deleted at the end of the call (so the recording is of the entire conversation, not just from the point where the key press was hit).

No because what you’re asking about isn’t related to call recordings. You can see how call recordings work in Asterisk/FreePBX here: Call Recording Module User Guide - PBX GUI - Documentation (freepbx.org)

I’m asking whether somebody has already implemented this in their callplan, in the way that say sailpbx does (I will look at GitHub to see what they do).

It’s about call recording but not about how call recording is implemented by default, it’s about how the dialplan can be extended to implement this (before I reinvent the wheel)

I’m not sure what you mean. You need to turn on call recording for it to start so that needs to be done at some point in the dial plan. With Inbound Routes there are settings for what to do with call recording.

The only thing I can find related to Retrospective Recording is for audio/MIDI recordings. So it isn’t something related to this, as I pointed out. The link I gave you is how to implement call recording in FreePBX. There are numerous points in the call path of the dial plan call recording can be started and even ended. As well you can use *1 for In-Call management that will toggle the call recording state (if on, it will disable it. If off, it will enable it). You can use the feature code multiple times in a call.

To recap, you can start recording the moment a call hits the PBX or at some point in the call flow. You can also start it while in the call with *1

Nothing stock in the GUI that will do this, but I see two possible custom approaches. You could enable recording on all calls like normal and then adapt this custom dialplan to flag specific calls to move the recording somewhere safe or email to the user. Then you would create a cron job that purges all recordings each night or so.

Alternatively, you could channel all call flow thru a hangup handler that auto deletes the recording after hangup and use the above custom dialplan to remove the hangup handler from specific calls. I think I prefer this approach since the recordings remain in place so you can use the existing CDR/CEL methods for playback. However, calls that have been recorded and then deleted will still show up in the CDR has having a linked recording unless you update the CDR record when you delete the recording.

This all seems like a bit of work when you can just record all calls and then forget about them until you need them. Obviously you need to move/delete them periodically to manage disk space, but that seems easier than selectively keeping recordings at the time of the call.

2 Likes

One should possibly note that you cannot use retrospective recording if you handle payment card details, particularly CVV, as those cannot be recorded even speculatively.

1 Like

PCI compliance, that’s a very good point I hadn’t considered and possibly the answer that may kill this off as an idea (for my specific use case)!

I was considering having a reference recording “This call wasn’t recorded” and symlinking to that if the call wasn’t flagged to be recorded.

But I think the PCI issue might kill this dead.

PCI isn’t the only thing to consider. You have to look at local laws. Even in the US there are states with 1 party consent then there are states with 2 party consent meaning you have to inform the other party the call is being recorded. You might even be required to allow the caller to not accept call the call being recorded.

It seems like you would need something for end users to toggle recording off, then on again, and stitch the recordings together at the end.

There are companies that specialize in PCI compliance recordings, but they are orders of magnitude more expensive than what you might expect for regular recording.

Another option could be to use a 3rd party automated system. The users would transfer to a number, and then are muted from the conversation while the system and customer complete the transaction, then the processor falls off and you can continue the call.

On Demand recording in FreePBX solves this. Enable that on extensions and they can use *1 to toggle recordings on/off.

If you have agents who just takes sensitive information over the call. You can set their recording priority to 30, set recording to Never and any call they get will force recording off.

1 Like

What do the recordings look like? Are they separate for each toggle? Or is it one recording thats made up of the merged recordings that makeup that call?

By default they are all one recording. MixMonitor is pretty flexible so with custom dial plan you could record in pieces, record channels separately, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.