Operator mode - hotel wakeup calls

tshif,

As mentioned you are free to do as you want. It’s a shame that you don’t appear to want to interact with some of the others that are actively working on FreePBX development on FreePBX.org as there is a lot of positive help and collaboration you can get.

As one simple example, last I looked the hotel wakeup had no localization in it. I suspect if it were in the FreePBX repos you’d find one of the devs either working on the code or working with you to discuss what is needed to enable it followed by various translators starting to add translations. I’ve seen this happen several times already.

Or you can par-take in the very positive collaboration available when you have different interests and skill sets. Like when mickecarlsson decided to take the challenge of finally attacking every last glitch in the localization system, which resulted getting me to spend dozens of hours to help figure out how to get around some of the more difficult corner cases because of the nature of how gettext work. And resulted in him developing some tools to make it much easier for other translators to get what they needed, … those are the examples of the positive collaboration that you can get when people with similar passions play in the same sandbox. (since you can see all the activity happening). And - I personally don’t have any need for the localization but can appreciate when others are giving that level of their time for the project and reciprocate.

Concerning “This is the conclusion I had come to as well - and we are in the process of working on that very thing [writing our own updater] right now. I’m actually quite happy to learn that you aren’t going to consider that behavior in a module to be “Blasphemous” or anti FreePBX.”

No I don’t consider it blasphemous, I consider it disappointing that the energy would go to do that never having had a conversation previously about it with FreePBX and from the conversation that we have had, not seeing any real reason that you have stated that could not be solved why you would not want to host it out of the FreePBX repository. It would be great to see that same type of energy put toward improving what is already there, as there are always areas that could use improvement.

So, No, I don’t see it anti FreePBX, but it sounds like it may be a bit Anti-FreePBX Community or Anti-User Friendly to the end users though I don’t have enough information at this point to draw that conclusion yet.

The unfortunate thing is that there are others who are interested in some of these modules and want to bring them into the FreePBX repository. And in some cases, there has been discussion about getting them into core. With them being open source, now the user base is going to end up having conflicts or annoying hiccups since when/if that is done, your modules installed on many systems will suddenly become available for updates and start serving out of FreePBX. It would sure be nice if that was led by the authors who are still actively engaged in those modules.

I just want to comment on an important issue when releasing a module for FreePBX and that is localization. For those who don’t know who I am, here is my presentation

To be able to localize a module all text strings in it must be enclosed in _("") so that it is picked up by i18n.

I have worked hard together with the rest of the FreePBX team to get FreePBX fully localized (including all modules and some third party/contributed) and I must say that we succeeded with that task.

What I also have done was to go over every bit and piece of the code to detect and correct all spelling errors in comments and in text output. I just hate to see a sloppy misspelled comment in the code, it just looks so bad (IMHO).

I have downloaded the Hotel Wakeup module and there are some work to be done in that module so that it can be localized. There are also issues with spelling errors in the code.
The biggest issue with it is that it is missing license text so I don’t know if it is GPL or freeware or closed code.

I do find the module quite interesting and I could do some work on it so that it will work for other languages than English. However, I can only do localization if the module is in FreePBX svn as I do all my work there.
tshif, could you reconsider your decision about not letting the module reside in contributed_modules so that other developers could help you with the module and so that I could help with localization?

Mikael Carlsson

…but it’s a pity after all the boasting about how well written this module is, and reasons why it is not included in the FreePBX repository, it results in a blank screen for me with framework 2.7.0.1

The module has not been tested for that version of FreePBX. I don’t recall anyone stating it did work in that version. As its a volunteer development effort, I’m sure the volunteers will get to it as their schedule permits.

From my notes a couple of months ago, with freepbx 2.7.0.2/Elastix 1.6.2-1, the current version (1.2.4) of this module didn’t work. I uninstalled it and tried 1.2.2, which works fine, including the Operator mode. Sorry I can’t be more specific. And thanks, Tony for a nice module!

If a third party module is being made available to the public that does not work on some versions of FreePBX, you may want to put a version dependency constraint in the modules.xml file so that it keeps users from running it on those versions.