On Hook Indicator Light

Here at my office, I am the only one in the department that prefers to use a headset to answer calls on. This has unfortunately led to a lot of confusion when people walk into my room and immediately start talking because they do not see the headset (or they just assume I am talking to myself). Does anyone know of a product that will either connect to a phone (I have a Cisco 7960) or that goes on the network and watches my specific extension on my FreePBX box and displays some sort of light to indicate that I am on the phone? I have a light above the door of my office so I may be able to wire it into that. Anyone have any ideas?

No, I can’t think of an easy way to do it.

If the server is located in the same building you could write a cron job to take the output of asterisk -rx ‘sip show channels’ | grep ext_num and if positive then set a bit high on the parallel port. You could then use a transistor to drive a relay and light a light. Or you could use an LED and drive it directly off the transistor.

Are you handy with electronics? Does the server have a parallel port?

If not several companies make little USB 8 bit A/D converters with linux drivers.

I can solder, but not great. I am in the same building, but not the same floor. I was wondering if there was a way to use the AUX port on my phone. Or, just a way to set off a trigger when the headset appears to be on. I’ll have to keep playing then.

Call headsets.com tell them your problem and buy the headset they suggest.

BF

What you want is a headset with a “firefly” in use indicator. The Plantronics S12 has one.