Odd behavior

I got a new complaint from the users today:

Someone inside had dialed out to the world and had been placed on hold, when suddenly the main IVR menu started playing. The system had apparently hung up their call and connected them to back to the pbx as if they were calling in from the outside world. What gives?

We have 6 trunks, but I’ve never set any option about what to do if calls come in and exceed that count. Will new incoming calls cause current ones to get the boot? Is there a behavior option to set when the trunk limit is reached?

This kind of problem has been ongoing since the system went live and is getting a bit critical.

tigerknight -

Please read your message and ask yourself how anyone could possibly answer your question.

You did not tell us anything about your system such as how it was installed (if a distro which one) and what kind of trunks you are using.

Also telling us about your users complaining or “problems with the system” does not create any sense of urgency. All that statement manages to do is tell us you did not test thoroughly before going to production.

Try again, and please post helpful information.

I apologize for the lack of specifics - without knowing where the problem lies (ie whether trunk behavior is specified by the provider or through FreePBX) I was not sure what details needed to be given. I’m also only able to convey problems in as much detail as they are given to me, which is admittedly very little but it comes from non-technical users for whom specifics and usage details are almost never remembered. Believe me I get as frustrated with them as you were with me just now.

As for testing, I tested everything I could prior to production - time conditions, IVR, voicemail, CID, inbound/outbound routes by wrangling enough people together to get 3-4 trunks in use at once plus a couple extensions for internal calls as well. It all went brilliantly. I’ve reported this problem a few times previously in the forums, actually and never had a reply - calls dropped, ringing heard by callers, etc. The dial out call being re-routed to the inbound IVR is completely new and I don’t know what to make of it.

The system is Asterisk/FreePBX 2.9 from the base install CD and not added in to an existing linux server, the trunks are provided via the SIPStation module interface with 6 channels and primary/secondary trunks appearing to be fully configured and registered. Codecs are ulaw|g729, all phones are aastra based and the aastra scripts have been used to deploy/configure them. Again - not sure what else to provide, is there any other pertinent information that may be helpful?

I assume when you say “base install CD” you are talking about the FreePBX Disto? Realize that their are other Distro’s such as Asterisk Now and PBX In a Flash.

Different providers treat all trunks busy in different fashion so I can’t speak to the all trunks busy.

You need to replicate this behavior and then post the log when the IVR condition starts.

You can busy trunks out by dialing outside numbers and placing them on hold or calling a time and weather type service.

This will be a long log so post it at pastebin.ca then put the link back in the support forum.

We don’t need SIP log, the standard verbose level is fine. Logs are in /var/log/asterisk/full

Correct, the Easy Install FreePBX Distro CD (not PBX In a Flash) is what was used to build this system. The SIPstation module uses bandwidth.com - which is affiliated with FreePBX I thought? - and I’ve looked through their account settings but not quite sure what I’m looking for when it comes to trunk behavior, are you familiar with them?

I won’t be able (or welcomed) to do this testing during business hours so I will have to do it later tonight. I could grab a section of log now though and post that - the problems happen intermittently all day and today has had a number of incidents from what I understand since Mondays are one of their busiest days. Is there a keyword I can look for and then give a chunk of log before and after that?