Nubie Question: Editing Network Configuration File When Locked Out?

Hello! I think that I accidentally messed up my network settings for my Freepbx server, but I can’t figure out how to edit the configuration files now. Because the system is looking for a network, it just keeps repeating:

[ OK ] Stopped LSB: Bring up/down networking.
Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking…

I am using an FTDI Console Cable to attempt to connect to my appliance through the Com port. It looks like my problem is that I set the network interface to “DHCP” instead of “none” while troubleshooting. Now it gets hung up on the LSB lines above so I can’t log in to root in order to fix the file like described at https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/How+to+set+Network+Settings+from+the+CLI

Is there some other way to edit this file? Do I have to physically remove the hard drive from the appliance and connect it up to my laptop? Because it doesn’t have an IP address, I can’t use Putty for SSH (I believe). Please let me know if there is something else I can do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Charles

I know nothing about the appliance, but assuming that it’s a normal CentOS system, you should be able to boot into rescue or emergency mode and edit the file. See
https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-boot-into-rescue-mode-or-emergency-mode/

If no luck, you should be able to boot from a ‘live’ USB thumb drive, even one for a different Linux distribution, mount the FreePBX filesystem and edit the file.

Thank you! I’ll give it a try right now.

If it’s an old box, it may be running CentOS 6 or older – a search will show how to get to rescue mode or single user mode.

It is a “Sangoma Phone System 300 Appliance” that has been discontinued. I bought it 4 years ago or so. I’ll double check the operating system and will do a search for rescue or emergency mode. That’s the part I didn’t know was possible. Thanks again!

Thank you for your help. I was able to access the file and keep it from hanging up. However, it’s still not getting a network connection by asking it to use dhcp, none or static (with the ip address info inputted).

At this point, I’m thinking I should just start with a fresh install. I would like to access my recordings and such, but don’t know how I can do that if the device doesn’t have an IP address. If you have any advice on how I can extract that info from my hard drive before doing a clean install I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Please post the output of
ifconfig -a
and the contents of
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Stewart - I rebooted my router and it now works again. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without your help, so am very grateful. Thanks! Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.