Nothing works

Hi,

I’m trying to get Asterisk 1.6.2.6 and FreePBX 2.7 working, but, nothing really works.

I am upgrading from an ancient asterisk(1.2)/freepbx installation but I think I removed all the old config-files.

I am on a debian lenny system.
Here is what I have done:
Compiled and installed Asterisk 1.6.2.6 and installed sample-config
Compiled and installed Asterisk Addons 1.6.2.0
Installed FreePBX with install_amp script

For testing I added a Sip Extension, but I just get a 404-not-found from my asterisk when I’m trying to register.
I don’t know enough about freepbx’ configuration files, but some things that I think are kind of strange:

When I log in my asterisk (asterisk -r) and do a “sip show users” it lists none. The /etc/asterisk/sip.conf is still the original asterisk sample file.

A “dialplan show” in the cli doesn’t show any of the freepbx contexts (like from-internal) instead it seems to show the extensions.ael sample.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong with my installation?
Thanks

Somehow the sip.conf now is the freepbx one. But now sip doesn’t load anymore:

*CLI> module load chan_sip.so
Unable to load module chan_sip.so
Command ‘module load chan_sip.so’ failed.
SIP channel loading…
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_general_additional.conf’: == Found

After looking through my asterisk logfiles, it seems asterisk is about included files that do not exist:
config.c: The file ‘sip_custom_post.conf’ was listed as a #include but it does not exist.

Is this a bug or can I configure this behavior somewhere? The extensions.conf problem still exists, this is probably the same problem:
ERROR[19479] config.c: The file ‘extensions_override_freepbx.conf’ was listed as a #include but it does not exist.

First of all I think you want “show sip peers” My advise to anyone “new” to FreePBX is to do one of two things:

1. Download an ISO ( AsteriskNow 1.5 or PBX in a Flash) and using VMWare(or similar) create a virtual machine to learn FreePBX on.

2. or find an old P4 or better box to load one of the aforementioned ISO’s on ( knowing full well that it will wipe the HD.)

The point is this, it is real hard to offer you any advice when you are using something hand built. If you use an ISO as a starting point then there is going to be a whole lot of people in the same lane of traffic you just entered.

Otherwise, you are pretty much in the outback with a bad GPS.

When I want to build a Nessus server I always go debian, with Asterisk/FreePBX I find CentOS is the way to go.

Use an ISO. My 2 cents…

I agree with cosmicwombat, there is no need to try and compile an Asterisk PBX from scratch, you are asking for major headaches and frustration. Use PBX in a Flash distribution. The “in a flash” part of the name comes from how quickly you can install and get it up and running from scratch. There is a very knowledgeable community of support that will have nearly identical installs as you will end up with. They can easily compare their setup with yours to answer your questions directly.