Nortel i2004 phones and outbound calls

I posted this question on the Asterisk forum just in case if it is an Asterisk problem. I am using an AsteriskNow system that comes with FreePBX (which is why I also posted the question on here). Anyway,
So far I am able to call any of the extensions internally. For some reason, even though I see that Google Voice motif is clearly working when I call from a phone like my cell to google voice number (which gets me to IVR and when I dial extension), I can’t dial from any of the Nortel i2004 phones to an external number. After I dial it, it wouldn’t even process a call and just hangs after the dialtone. Also, I can’t even use feature codes like *97 or *98 for voicemail even when enabled. Same result. I checked the UNISTIM status when doing asterisk -r and the phones are registered in the system a ok. Is there any thing else I need to do to get them to use feature codes or outbound calls?

FreePBX does not support Unistim. You can create an extension of the “custom” type and let FreePBX know about the Unistim device. Make sure you understand the Unistim channel dial syntax.

What context are you using for your phones.

Are you referring to the dial string for each extension on web interface? If so, it is in format of USTM/ext@name
Ex., USTM/200@TechSupport

This is what it looks like when I do unistim show info:

name=Front_Desk id=000abcdefg ha=(nil) sess=0xb7601c38 device=0xa0a1018 selected=-1 height=3
->name=201 fullname=USTM/201@Front_Desk exten= callid= cap=(ulaw|alaw) line=0xa0a15f0
==> 0. dev= icon=0x20 label=201 number= sub=(nil) line=0xa0a15f0
==> 1. dev= icon=0x36 label=Frnt Dsk number=* sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 2. dev=Tech_Management icon=0x20 label=Tech Mgmt number=* sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 3. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 4. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 5. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)

name=Tech_Management id=000abcdefg ha=(nil) sess=0xb76005e8 device=0xa09f990 selected=-1 height=3
->name=200 fullname=USTM/200@Tech_Management exten= callid= cap=(ulaw|alaw) line=0xa09ff68
==> 0. dev= icon=0x20 label=200 number= sub=(nil) line=0xa09ff68
==> 1. dev= icon=0x36 label=Tech Mgmt number=* sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 2. dev=Front_Desk icon=0x20 label=Frnt Dsk number=* sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 3. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 4. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)
==> 5. dev= icon=0 label= number= sub=(nil) line=(nil)

Sessions:
sin=192.168.1.x timeout=2796003797 state=MAINPAGE macaddr=000abcdefg device=0xa0a1018 session=0xb7601c38
sin=192.168.1.x timeout=2795990880 state=MAINPAGE macaddr=000abcdefg device=0xa09f990 session=0xb76005e8

I’ve noticed the camp is at ulaw. Does it make a difference if I change from ulaw to something like G729a? would that make a difference?

No, the bearer cap is not the issue.

Again, what context are the extensions in? My guess not from from-internal

My personal opinion is to use a more widely supported phone unless you are very technical and highly committed.

I am not trying to sound like a noob, but where can I find the context information you are talking about? The only thing I remember for context is setting them on default in the uniconf file. I would use a widely supported phone, but I can’t because I bought these phones without knowing until after I was trying to get them setup that they use the UNISTIM protocol and not the actual SIP Protocol. I can’t even return them so I have to make due with what I have, even if I need to put in more time.

I don’t know if this would help, but I did do a asterisk -rvvv and this is what I got when I dialed *97 attempt.

– Starting switch on ‘200@Tech_Management-0’ to *97
– Executing [h@default:1] Macro(“USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48”, “hangupcall,”) in new stack
– Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:1] Gotoif(“USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48”, “1?theend”) in new stack
– Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,3)
– Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:3] ExecIf(“USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48”, “0?Set(CDR(recordingfile)=)”) in new stack
– Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:4) Hangup(“USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48”, “”) in new stack
== Spawn Extension (macro-hangupcall, s, 4) exited non-zero on ‘USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48’ in macro ‘hangupcall’
== Spawn Extension (default, h, 1) exited non-zero on ‘USTM/200@Tech_Management-0xb7673d48’

Actually the Feature Codes and outbound calling is working now. I changed it from default to from-internal on the UNISTIM file. You are a life saver! :slight_smile: