No audio either way

Hi all. First, while I’m somewhat experienced with *nix (mostly apache and SSL, etc), I don’t know anything about freePBX. I’m trying to help a friend who’s burned out after 2 days of trying to figure something out while his main tech is out of the country. Sorry, but I don’t (yet) have version numbers for anything, but I believe he’s running CentOS.

What happened is that his colo partner rebuilt the racks, using all the same hardware that was working on Friday (and for the past couple years). The IPs have changed but that should be all. He can log into everything, it all seems in order to him.

He can dial in and out and pick up the line, but there’s no audio (both ways).

I’m hoping to get some tips on what could cause this, and/or things to look closer at. If a log is helpful, some tips on making that would be useful (also, if there’s a way to sanitize private info that’d be nice).

Thanks!

In Asterisk SIP Settings, confirm that External Address and Local Networks are correctly set. If you change these, after Submit and Apply Config you must restart Asterisk (or reboot the whole server).

If that’s not your issue, find the simplest thing that fails. For example, *65 should speak your extension number. If that’s ok, try calling between extensions. If that’s also ok, try an outbound external call.

For this issue, a SIP trace is important. At the Asterisk command prompt (not a shell prompt), type
pjsip set logger on
and/or
sip set debug on
according to the channel type(s) being used. Make the failing call, get the Asterisk log for the call (from /var/log/asterisk/full), redact as desired, paste the result at pastebin.freepbx.org and post the link here. If you are too new to post links, just post the last eight hex characters of the URL.

Make sure it’s clear what each redacted data item represents.

2 Likes

Hey Stewart,

Thanks for that great feedback! I’ll be keeping a copy of it.

He got it figured out, it was a bad external IP number. He’s having a busy day so I didn’t get a deep explanation, he said it was something about a switch/overlay on top of asterisk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.