Newbie to SIP, really lost

I am brand new to the SIP world. I have FreePBX installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4G of RAM. I finally got all the modules updated. And now I have no idea how to get where I want to go.

I work on a ship in a 6-man office. I have 4 analog lines available to me, and I have them connected to a Grandstream GXW4108. I have a SIP account from VoipVoip. I have a bunch of Yealink T42S SIP phones. I thought I could use FreePBX as some kind of PBX that would tie all this together and let me the use the SIP phones to call each other on the ship using the PBX, call analog phones on the ship through the PBX and the GXW4108, and call off the ship using the PBX and the VoipVoip account.

I have no clue where to start with FreePBX. I have one of my SIP phones set up to call off the ship using the SIP account, so I at least know how to do that much. I wandered through the setup in FreePBX and can’t find anything that makes sense. I looked at the Wiki and wasn’t sure what to look for. I even poked around in the Asterisk CLI, but I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. I am comfortable dealing with the CLI, but my lack of knowledge is proving a real roadblock.

Anybody know if I can even do what I want to do? If so, can you point me in the general direction (OK, maybe more than the general direction)?

You can surely do all that… But you have a lot of reading ahead…
Where were you planning on installing the Pi? Permanently on the ship?
Please explain that a little more.
Assuming you plan to install the Pi on the ship, you would need a 4g connection available so you can connect to your VoIP provider and the GXW4108 that would be located where the analog lines are installed.
In basic terms, you need to create the extensions, create one trunk to your VoIP provider and another to your GXW and define inbound and outbound routes. All of that is explained on the wiki, start there and ask specific questions when encountering specific problems.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.