Newbie question

I am new to freepbx and asterisk. I am currently testing aah 2.8 and trixbox. My question is, that whenever there seems to be a need for code to be added everyone refers to sip.conf or ext.conf and rarely ever to sip_additional.conf or ext_additional.conf.
Is it safe to assume that when these references are made that the real place these entries should be made is in the sip or exten_additional and not in the sip or ext.conf files?

Do I understand correctly that sip and exten_additional.conf is merely called from the sip or exten.conf? That sip and exten.conf is actually the base file that points to the additional files?

any help would be appreciated!

thank you

[quote=“kennyb”]My question is, that whenever there seems to be a need for code to be added everyone refers to sip.conf or ext.conf and rarely ever to sip_additional.conf or ext_additional.conf.

Is it safe to assume that when these references are made that the real place these entries should be made is in the sip or exten_additional and not in the sip or ext.conf files?

Do I understand correctly that sip and exten_additional.conf is merely called from the sip or exten.conf? That sip and exten.conf is actually the base file that points to the additional files?

[/quote]

Keep in mind that changes made using FreePBX will overwrite most of the *.conf and *_additional.conf files. Manual changes should be made in *_custom.conf.

Alex