Newbie issue - just testing

Hi,

I’m thinking of swapping our NEC phone system for a FREEPBX system to coincide with us moving over to SIP lines instead of ISDN

I’ve purchased a couple of Grandstream GXP2100 phones and hav successfully installed onto a little PC and all is good with all settings geen and I’ve updated the system to the latest modules. (I haven’t purchased anything yet as I want to have a play with the settings first)

I managed to get the phones registered and they pull the ext number and names from the console and I can call each one… but there’s no sound going between them when I make a call through the handset or speaker. They work as when I deny the call the mailbox prompts come in and I can hear that fine.

I notices the GXP2100 isn’t on the certified list but I don’t want to buy more phones if it should work.

Ohh and the keys don’t respond when I call the mailbox so it just loops the welcome message… oh and even when I record a message it doesn’t say there is one but it might be because it can’t hear anything.

I’ve set the firewall to allow all my internal IPs, so thought this would work.

Any pointers would be great, thanks

This is almost always a NAT issue, or, you have set your FreePBX machine to tell everything its external address. Make sure NAT on the phones is set to ‘auto’, and you have your local networks configured correctly in SIP Settings.

Also, before you do anything else, make sure the phones can dial *43 and have bidrectional audio THERE before trying anything else. Once you fix that, everything else will probably start working.

As @xrobau says. Also, please note that after changing External Address or Local Networks in SIP Settings, you must restart Asterisk, not just Apply Config.

If you suspect a firewall issue, test with it turned off. Confirm that it’s really off by issuing
iptables -L
at a root shell prompt. You should see no rules, something like:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I assume that phones and PBX are on the same subnet; provide details if not.
Also, if any virtualization is involved, or if there is anything other than ‘dumb’ switches between phones and PBX, provide details.

Thanks, I think it was because I set the outbound proxy as the server on the phone setup. When I deleted this they started working.

Just out of curiosity, I’m testing it on my Windoze network and all of a suddent the phones didn’t register. When I looked it seemed that they got a different IP from the DHCP server (I’ve now assigned them reservations).

The only way I could get them back up was to disable the FW.

Does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.