New open source SMS Connector module

My setup is also FreePBX + VoIP.ms + Sangoma Talk and I had all my configuration in-place and for a while couldn’t figure out why my Sangoma Talk app had no SMS/MMS functionality… Then, @billsimon showed me your steps @rwize and the UserMan > Sangoma Talk > Enable SMS button being No was my issue the for that!! So huge thanks for identifying that. I reset the mobile app and re-registered with a new provisioning link and the SMS tab was immediately present again.

Now after all these steps, and many hours of checking over my configuration over and over and over again, I still wasn’t able to get FreePBX to receive a single text from my DID. As it turns out, that same IP that @GrilloVillegas found (72.251.239.208) was ALSO my issue for that!! As soon as I marked that IP as trusted my SMS started flowing through to FreePBX for the first time.

These last few posts in this thread begs the following questions though:

1. What is that IP which @GrilloVillegas and I require for receiving SMS? A whois doesn’t show it’s owned by VoIP.ms, is it some kinda application proxy they forward their API connections through??

2. Moreover, how’s it possible that @rwize supposedly doesn’t need any firewall exclusions set in order for his similar setup to work correctly?

3. Is having multiple firewall IP exclusions set really such a security risk if they’re verifiably owned by a company which facilitates a critical resource for your PBX? Such as VoIP.ms server IPs to make SMS work. I mean, we’re talking multiple-multiple layers of security would have to fail for our own PBXs to be compromised as a result of a single excluded IP for a specific service, right? @tonyclewis

Hope it’s okay to shove the wall-of-text that is my experience today so far into this thread… Now I finally have everything I need out of FreePBX. After hours of toil it feels great to have everything wired up and working seamlessly, especially SMS! Big thanks to everyone here who contribute to this, and I hope that I can repay back the same level of contribution here some day!

1 Like