New Module: Outbound Extension Groups

Hi

I’ve dropped a bug report with some info about what I have found.

However I am being slow and cannot get this to work!!

Is possible to show a bit more detail on how to set this up?

Edit

Ok I was being slow. I have now worked out how this module works and it’s not quite what I needed.

Custom Context does what I need it to do, however it over complicates everything.

What I need to do is put extension in to trunk groups just like on a traditional PBX

Example Extensions 1200 to 1249 use truck group 1
Extensions 1250-1269 use trunk group 2

And then the trunk groups define which trunks what can and cannot be dialled and using what trunks

Hope this all makes sense – I know this module just about does this, however in my setup it does not work. We don’t use access digits (they are not needed - * is powerful enough to know what you want to do) and without access digits this module still routes using existing rules.

I released a new version of this module. It should resolve all the issues with the extension page. I “borrowed” the extension page modification code from the custom contexts module and in the process picked up a bunch of bugs. :frowning: I’ve rewritten the code from scratch and now all the spurious messages and group dropdown changes not sticking problems are resolved. I also added the group dropdown to the Extension Add page.

The issues you raise are valid so I’ll try to address them all.

With the proposed “dial contexts” module, you would indeed need to create 5 dial contexts. You’d also need to create a number of outbound routes - but outbound routes can be shared, so it is probably not the case that you would have 10 distinct groups (2 for each dial context), although it certainly is possible.

One problem with effectively having the “outbound groups” screen merged with the “dial contexts” screen (much like this module works), is in the case that you do actually share the same outbound route among multiple contexts, with this module you’d have to edit 5 different screens to change it (very prone to error, especially when you don’t remember that there are 5 sites using it). With the separate dial contexts / outbound routes, you edit the one route, and it is updated for all sites.

There may be UI shortcuts that could help with this: perhaps “add route” and “edit route” buttons, that would do an in-place add/edit for the route, without leaving the dial contexts screen.

As far as editing 30 extensions, yes, you’re right, you would individually need to change them all. But this is a UI issue, and is solved in many ways:

• A select list could be added on each dial context, to allow adding extensions to that context (obviously it would have to indicate if they’re already in another context). This would do the same thing as going into the extension and changing a dial context drop-down, it’s just another way to access it.
  • a “mass changes” UI could be created (I think there are some people already looking for this) where you can edit properties of multiple extensions at the same time, on one screen.

The biggest problem I see with using a regex range to select the extensions is suddenly extension numbers have meaning. If someone moves to another office, they have to get a new extension number. There is currently no reason technically why this would have to happen.

Another issue is tying to extension numbers and not devices. For example (in deviceanduser mode), a user may have extension 201, with device 201001 in New York, and device 201002 in Toronto. If someone dials 911 on either of those phones, obviously it needs to call 911 on a local PSTN line. This isn’t possible when matching based on the extension number. Likewise, the local calling areas are different, so you likely want different routes for local numbers.

Greg MacLellan - Core freePBX Developer
http//freepbx.org - irc.freenode.net #freepbx

I agree that a number of the issues I raised could be resolved with the proper UI. My comments were really directed towards the Custom Contexts module. It appeared, from my reading of the Dialing Context spec, that it would have the same issues.

I have a couple of clarifications about the Outbound Groups.

In my situation each of the Groups does have different routes for both emergency and outbound calls so there isn’t any duplication between groups.

I’m currently using Extensions but the code was designed to base the groups on the Device not the User in Device and User mode.

Hi!
I have installed the latest version 0.1.6. And the error in extensions are gone!
But I cannot quite get it to work.
My setup is two trunks - and what I try to achieve is to get some of my extensions to use one trunk and some the other.
What happens now is that everything goes through the trunks that I have set up in Outbound routes.

I want extension 404, 388 and 1755 to use trunk1
And extension 222, 557 to use trunk2
What do I write in “Extension Pattern” and what do I write in “Number” to get this setup to work?

(I dont use a prefix for outbound lines - I have defined in the trunk that all numbers containing 8 numbers (Norway!!!) XXXXXXXX to go outbound using trunk 1)

Regards,
Jarle

Hi,

I love the concept and I suggested something similiar. I am glad that you wrote it. Now, how do I install it???

I tried to download this today from the link at the top, but it appears to be offline. Is there an alternate source?>

robert,
I’ve created a space on freepbx.org for contributed modules as we discussed. Would love to have your module housed there and you would have full access to maintain it as well as receive bugs in the tracker etc, and soon an ability with the cli version of module_admin for people to install it. Let me know.

philippe

p.s. I may be slow to respond, I’m running out the door to Astricon right now.

Philippe Lindheimer - FreePBX Project Lead
http//freepbx.org - IRC #freepbx

Has anyone else had an issue with changes that don’t stick?
The pull down in devices lets you pick a context but it doesn’t seem to stick.
I have the same issue with custom contexts (uninstalled outgroups, installed custom contexts).

This is a GREAT module - have been requesting this functionality for a long time and I was informed that this was not going to be done right now as the entire trunk and routing infrastructure is being redone - So I am surprised to see this released - thanks a bunch!

Hello,

Sorry to ask, but how do I install this module?
there is not “installation section” under module manager under freePBX.

help will be appreciated

Thank you

Leisser Barrera
951.530.3403 ext 201

Download it on whatever machine you use to access the Freepbx system.

In Freepbx, go to module admin and ‘upload module’, then browse to the outgrps-0.1.6.tgz (or whatever) file you downloaded.

Once you have uploaded it, the module will be listed in Module admin. Go to it and select the ‘install’ option.

Hello Rjenkinsgb,

Thank you for the info, there is a problem, I cant see the “upload module” under–freepbx–tools–module admin–

Leisser Barrera
951.530.3403 ext 201

Which version of FreePBX are you using?

I’m using 2.3 and ‘Upload module’ is immediately right of ‘Check for updates online’ in module admin.

Hi…
We have installed the latest version 0.1.6. But it doesn’t work.
We have couple of trunks and oout bound rules. I setup my extension to use the third trunk, everythink seems perfect, but when I dial from my exntension that outbound group, it dials from the original first outbound rule and trunk.
So even though everything seems fine, it doesn’t dial from the correct trunk that I setup. FYI, I am not using any prefix and I don’t want to use as outbound group would solve my problem perfectly.
Any comment would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cem

I have the same problem. For reply on my phones to work I can’t have a prefix since missed calls don’t.
Also every body wants do call directly without prefix. Also Intercom stops working if starting with 9 for instance.

Would be happy for any kind of respons to this.

Thanks

Kent

Have 1 extension (206) that needs to dial out on the only POTS line, G0.

have the pattern matching set to 2[0-9]{[0-9]}

group # is 6

Even set the group in the extension and it will not dial out on G0. IT follows the normal outbound routes.

I am running freepbx version 2.3.1.1
this addons is are real good idea, but it is not working for me, the ballontips “extension pattern” tells 2([0-9])[0-9] , the screenshot tells, 2([0-9])[0-9] with backslashes, and in this post, one other user says 2[0-9]{[0-9]} … witch one is good???
what is the best way to create outbound group for the only extentsion 6008? (our extensions is on the 6XXX)
thank you!
Fabrice

I don’t want to use 9 for outside either…

A couple of points. I downloaded the latest module today and my freepbx system is up2date.

Once can create an empty ring group with no way of deleting it.

I installed this module fine, but when will it be available within the list of modules to choose from?

Thanks!

KM

I was adding a wrong inbound route.

I received the following messages:

exit: 1

Checking for PEAR DB…OK
Checking for PEAR Console::Getopt…OK
Checking for /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Bootstrapping /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Parsing /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Parsing /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf …OK
Connecting to database…OK
Connecting to Asterisk manager interface…OK
[FATAL] SELECT * FROM incoming WHERE cidnum = “” AND extension = ““ISDN1” <567574>” AND channel = “” [nativecode=1064 ** You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘ISDN1" <567574>" AND channel = “”’ at line 1]

1 error(s) occured, you should view the notification log on the dashboard or main screen to check for more details.

Now i am not able to delete this route
How can I do it?