New Dell for FreePBX

It’s simply an X forward client wrapped up in a pretty gui,

mostly ssh -X [email protected] service will be just as effective , best to accept your public ssh keys first.

Some claim anydesk as better secured for cloud deployment.

I prefer just a secured ssh connection as secured by my own edicts.

1 Like

I would rather read and learn X11 forwarding. Thanks a lot :slightly_smiling_face:.

I would wait until the fix is in, commonly, in a virtual terminal, you should have the ability to install any kernel module needed from an additional device (commonly a mounted additional USB disk) which should be done before the main thread looks for disks.but if denied that then vitrtualizing FreePBX over another layer of virtualization is probably not going to be optimal.

I would also suggest that LXD/LXC would also be a more ‘metal based’ solution’ if you can’t wait. Or use one of the many recipes to install in the WIKI that bypasses the “Distro”

1 Like

noMachine does not use any server…you have to do a port forwarding to access it from outside. I dont know how safe it is. I have been using it for two years now on 5 Linux Mint NUC PCs with freePBX VMs. No issues yet…
It is not widely used (which is good) and it’s free. Teamviewer is not free anymore, VNC is very old…so I think it is a good alternative.

1 Like

What do you mean by “but if denied that then vitrtualizing FreePBX over another layer of virtualization is probably not going to be optimal.”
If he installs an OS, which properly recognizes his hardware (e.g. Linux Mint), there are no two layers of virtualization. It is just Virtualbox…and Virtualbox sometimes runs operating systems faster and better than some hardware systems…except for the graphics…but you dont need much graphic power for freePBX :wink:

Thank you for sharing this soluton with us.

1 Like

You may want to go learn about the difference between a type 1 and type 2 hypervisor

1 Like

Actually…I don’t want to learn…I just asked what he meant :wink:
If he meant that Virtualbox is not a good solution for a freePBX server then I disagree!

1 Like

This thread has gone off topic. @shanewhite didn’t ask about virtualization at all.

Earlier I asked you where the installer hangs and are you using the fully automated install or the guided installer.

1 Like

The last Distro install we tried to do on an Optiplex did the same thing. After a week of screwing around we have up and installed it in a Win10 VM.

1 Like

Windows 10/11 as host for a VM is not a good choice, because it updates like hell…and doesnt even ask.
Sorry for the repetition…Linux Mint + Virtualbox. :wink:
An Ubuntu-based Linux distro like Linux Mint is stable, asks before it runs updates and runs on most HW.

2 Likes

And also, because it requires the admin to have expertise with two very different operating systems, a skill set that is hard to come by.

2 Likes

NoMachine has been around a long time, another advantage of it is that it works quite well over low bandwidth connections - though who needs that these days?!
Though was barely useable over Iridium satellite connections at about 9600 baud the last time I was doing that years ago. I think the high latency of the satellite connection was the main source of the slowness…

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.