Moving to New VPS/VM

I have an instance of FreePBX 14.0.16.4 running on a VPS and in production use at a 24/7 operation.

I need to move the PBX to a new VM and I’d like to be able to upgrade to the latest FreePBX if possible.

I found a closed link at https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Elastix+and+PBXinaFlash+to+FreePBX+Distro+Conversion+Tool that doesn’t appear to work anymore, but it seems to imply there might be a way to do it.

I could also back up the existing (v14) image and restore it on the new (v15) VM, but I’d like to hear from the community if this is recommended or not. I also like that the convert.freepbx.org bash script would disable the trunks so that it wouldn’t conflict with the existing installation when it starts up.

Has anyone out there done a v14 to v15 shuffle?

If you are dead set on migrasting to a new VPS:

1. Take a snapshot of your VPS.
  2. Restore the snapshot to a new instance.
  3. Deal with deactivation/reactivation.
  4. Buy any commercial licenses again.
  5. Upgrade the new system to FreePBX 15.
  6. Test.
  7. Update your DNS so your users move to the new system.

Or:

1. Make a backup within FreePBX 14
  2. Spin up a new VPS instance with FrePBX 15.
  3. Restore the FreePBX 14 backup into it.
  4. Activate the new instance.
  5. Buy Commercial modules again.
  6. Test.
  7. Update your DNS so your users move to the new system.

Or if you want to just upgrade, then upgrade in place. I wrote a guide almost a year ago for that.

Any way you do it there is downtime, 100% of the time. You cannot migrate without downtime.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.