Moving Phones, Outgoing Call Issues, Circuits Busy Errors

Hi all,

I am one of the new sysadmins for a small business. The sysadmin who set up our phone system no longer works for our company (and left no documentation explaining its use), and we are experiencing an odd issue.

The phones we are using are Polycom SoundPoint IP430 SIPs, and we are running FreePBX 2.2.3. I have no real experience with VOIP setups so I don’t know for sure how this is all working. I would like to at some point rebuild everything but right now we need our current set up to work as it is not feasible for us to shut down our phone system for any length of time.

Our network is set so that to make an outgoing call, we have to dial ‘9’. (The outgoing route is 9|.) Things were working fine until we tried to move phones to different lines. For example, we moved the phone with extension 117 to a new phone line in another room of the office. Normally we would pick up the handset–to dial 1-800-555-1234 (for example)–and dial 918005551234.

The problem we are encountering is that dialing 918005551234 no longer calls out. It tries to take the call at only 10 digits, in other words, it is not realizing that it needs to dial 9 or 1 (the second of which all our outgoing calls require, even to local area codes). We then get an error “All circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later.”

The oddity is that dialing the number before picking up the handset… works. Dialing 918005551234 and then picking up the handset allows us to make that outgoing call.

We’ve also found that even unplugging a phone’s power and reconnecting it to the line it was originally set up on causes it to not work.

Searching all of my options in trixbox and the FreePBX administration has given no real help. The settings server-side appear to be identical for working (pick up, dial 9, the number) and nonworking (Circuits Busy) extensions.

We would go in and look at the web interface for the phones but they exist on a different physical network from all of our in-office machines.

Please let me know how we can either fix this, or help point me in the right direction. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. Thank you in advance.

The actual phone configuration files for your polycom phones have changed. This has happened to others using trixbox. sometimes people will not notice it until months after the actual update when the phones are rebooted loading the new config.

I’m not a polycom phone person to tell you exactly what you need to do but I’ve seen people complain about this before. Best bet is to check the forums. As I know they have the solution posted there somplace.

We ended up finding a solution. For whatever reason, some update erased our old Digitmap. I ended up finding the ‘default’ digitmap in tftpboot/sip.cfg and set it back to our original Digitmap (or at least what works). After plugging all our phones back in they updated themselves to the right configuration.