Mobile Phone Access

Hi All,

Is there a way to an app to use for iphone/android to connect to FreePBX? We have mobile users here and we’d like to record their calls.

Thanks!

Try Zoiper:
https://www.zoiper.com/

Is that easy to use? I’d imagine i’d have to open up ports on the firewall from them to connect from outside of the office?

Hi,

Yes but I don’t know of any way to force a user to use them, your users could bypass them if they want…

I can see two ways…

• SIP client: I know that some Android phones have one you can use, I don’t know about IPhone since I don’t use them… There are also free SIP clients like CSipSimple, Grandstream Wave, etc… you can use on Android and there are probably similar SIP clients on IPhone…

Dealing with this is somewhat of a PITA because you don’t want everyone to be able to connect to your PBX…

For a similar problem I use a dynamic DNS entry I whitelisted in my firewall so that it has access to the appropriate ports. I guess you could also use a VPN or other similar tool as well… I know that some people rely on the responsive firewall for this as well…

• DISA: You place a call to a phone number/extension which gives you a dial tone after you have filled in a password. You can have that call recorded if you want… Please note that there is currently a bug that makes those recordings invisible if you don’t have the commercial CDR module, you have to get to them manually big directly accessing the file system…

(I opened a ticket about this, I don’t remember the ticket number off hand).

[quote=“GorillaPBX, post:1, topic:43963”]We have mobile users here and we’d like to record their calls.
[/quote]

There are legal implications to this, make sure you respect them…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

So they will have to use VPN on their mobile phones? that might be a pain…

Looks like it may be a big security risk to open ports outside…

But would any SIP app work?

Hi,

For something else I use a dynamic DNS client which updates my mobile phone IP address every 5 minutes and I tell my firewall (pfSense) to let that traffic in…

You could do that for SIP too…

Once of the problems with that is when there is an IP change you might have to wait a few minutes before you can connect again and it’s not quite scalable…

It is simpler than going the VPN way but I am quite sure less reliable…

Yes, there is definitely a risk… Apparently the responsive firewall address this, at least partially…

I don’t see why not, it’s supposed to be standard…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

You can also wait for the Zulu mobile app, which I read will be released later this year.
Zulu is the commercial FreePBX unified communications solution. So far it’s basically a desktop app with chat and soft phone.
I don’t know how Sangoma will address firewall security with this.
It’s a bit pricy, but if it delivers, I will buy it.

You could use zopier and IAX instead of sip (not sure if iax requires a paid version). It’s less ports that have to be opened.

Then change the default port to something random, it’s security through obscurity, but will reduce the chances of someone finding you.