Migrating voicemails/greetings from Freeswitch to FreePBX

I’ve got a test install of FreePBX running, and I’m trying to figure out if there’s any way to copy in our voicemails, greetings, and recorded names from our current Freeswitch install. I tried moving a voicemail into the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/[mailbox]/INBOX directory, but it didn’t show up anywhere. I then copied an existing .txt file from another voicemail and renaming it, which now makes it show up on the list of voicemails. However, I’m worried because there are fields like message ID and others in there - I guess I’m just not sure of the ramifications of doing this.

I also tried copying a greeting into the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/[mailbox] folder and naming it greet.wav for recorded name or unavail.wav for the voicemail greeting, but the extension just hangs up when it hits the mailbox in that case. (Works fine when I remove the .wav files.)

Any tips/guidance would be appreciated.

The file(s) need to be R/W able by the asterisk user. you will need a copy of the file in the format of each shown in the format= line (wav49=WAV), so

file /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/nnn/*
ls -l /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/nnn/*

would help.

The greeting/dusy/unavailable files are in that Directory, the sub-directories are the various voicemail boxes of that user, converting the voicemails themselves \is a little complicated as you would have to generate the msg00nn.txt files to suit and copy and name the messages themselves as appropriate.

I’d done the chown/chgrp to asterisk. Was just double checking, and turns out my conversion to wav (they were originally mp3) hadn’t been done quite right. Re-did the conversion more carefully and it worked fine.

So as you say, the last tricky bit comes down to creating the txt files. They all have an ID, so I’m not sure how to set these such that I won’t run into problems long-term…

For new mails it’s not a problem everything is done on the fly. For converting the old shit try googleing

“message information file” asterisk

the guy with the imap conversion is pretty complete. So you will find that deconstruction and reconstruction is a little tricky, for reference you would need to read the ./apps/app_voicemail.c file in the asterisk source code.

Ugh…sounds painful. I might try floating to everyone that they just go to their old emails if they need the old voicemails, and/or I can download the files for them to their desktops. We’ll see how people react and go from there. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

or provide a tieline trunk to the old system with a specific extension to be dialed. Get clever with the custom context and it should be relatively seemless to pass the required extension along also to go straight to the right voicemail

1 Like

Wow…would never have occurred to me. Would definitely prefer to avoid, since the old one is a physical install and the box is starting to die, so don’t want to put too much work into it. But if people squawk it’s definitely an option. Thanks!