Migrate to new server

Hi,

I am running an old distro version 12.7.6-2002-2.sng7 from 2014(?) and would like to update to a recent installation. Also I would like to switch from CentOS to Debian, which I am way more familiar with (found the howto in the wiki). This is a homeoffice installation with few extensions, so nothing fancy.

Over the years I have made a lot of adjustments and would like to carry them over to the new system - ideally not manually. Also I’d like to transfer the call logs, but that’s only nice-to-have. I didn’t find documentation that speaks to my situation, and I imagine that the database layout has changed a bit over time.

What would you suggest for me? Is there an automated way or should I just invest a few hours and re-create the configuration manually?

Thanks for your advice!

2002 means Feb of 2020, your system is current. If you’re running FreePBX 14, you can upgrade in place to 15, or you can do a backup on this system and restore to a new 15 system. 15 allows restore from legacy backups, but there is not much test history yet for people restoring legacy backups to non-distro 15 systems, so be prepared for issues.

In your place I would just leave it as is.

1 Like

This means you want to switch away from the FreePBX Distro and roll your own FreePBX from source. If that’s what you’re trying to do, know that there is no way to do this without doing everything by hand.

Everything.

It’s not a recommended direction for most installations.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies. I did a test install with the Debian way and can already see that restoring a backup doesn’t work easily.
I’ll do the official upgrade for now and see where it brings me.

I’m curious why a restore to FreePBX 15 wouldn’t actually work great now that the backup module has been so well refined.

I got an error about missing drivers. Not very verbatim, something like -219, nothing I could find something for. No difference if I restored with or without Legacy CDR.
But, after upgrading my old installation to FreePBX 15 and Asterisk 16, it seems that some annoying things are gone (like shutdown time of 3 minutes). So I am fine with it and again impressed how robust the whole System is.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.