Macro-dialout-trunk settings, need advice, outbound calls cancel/timeout before they are answered

Ok I have spent atleast 5 hours now searching here, google, and anywhere else I could for an answer. Time to ask for help I suppose.

To begin with the problem I have is when an outbound call is placed and the phone number called does not answer within 30 seconds the call disconnects. As far as I can tell I need to edit the following in extensions_additional.conf

exten => s,n,Dial(${OUT_${DIAL_TRUNK}}/${OUTNUM},300,${DIAL_TRUNK_OPTIONS})

and

exten => s,n(skipoutnum),Dial(${pre_num:4}${the_num}${post_num},300,${DIAL_TRUNK_OPTIONS})

Of course the problem is that config file is generated by freepbx and anything I change will be overwritten.

So my question is… Am I missing a setting somewhere in the freepbx admin gui that will set the dial time to longer than 30 seconds on outbound calls? If there is no setting for this, how and where would I go about making the manual config change that will not be overwritten by freepbx?

I am fairly new to freepbx and asterisk but so far this has been the only challenge I could not find an answer for by doing a little searching.

I use VoicePulse Connect for the outbound trunk and can not see any settings with that service that would be causing this either.

I have never had this problem. Are you sure it is not a Voicepulse issue. Do you have another trunk you can try calls on to see if the behaviour is the same?

I have not attempted any other trunk since voicepulse is the only service we are using currently for outbound calls. I did a little searching on google also to see if anyone else has said anything about voicepulse dropping outbound calls after a timeout period and not much luck finding anything about that either.

If it helps any I receive a three tone “beep” when the outbound dialing cancels.

Well after countless hours of trying to figure this out it looks as though it was the softphone I was using (NCH Express Talk) and of course there is not a setting to change the 30 second disconnect (WTF??!!). I tried a different softphone and no problems at all.