Loud Noise when trying to call through PSTN

Hi,

I am using Asterisknow 1.5. And TDM400P card for interfacing with PSTN line. This setup was working without any problem. But now it is showing issues. When I try to call through PSTN, there is a continuous large noise is hearing from the SIP phone. And can't make the call. When I try to call the PSTN number from mobile there is only engaged tone is hearing. And also the Asterisk server is hanging frequently with lighting all the LEDs in the TDM400p cards.

The SIP to SIP calls are working fine.

Is this a hardware issue? The TDM400P is under warranty.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arun S

What happens when you plug a phone directly into the PSTN jack?

BF

Hi,
Thank you for your quick reply. When I connect a phone into PSTN line, it is working as normal.

Thanks,
Arun S

Sounds like you may have problems with the card. Was there any thunderstorm activity or power surge coincident with the beginning of the problem?

If there is one more thing you can try…

Turn the server OFF and dial in to see what happens.

If you can get a “Y” connector so you can plug in both the phone and the server and see if you hear anything unusual on the phone. Try this with the server both on and off.

Let me know what happens.

Bill

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. No, there was no thunderstorm activities here. And I tested the card as you instructed. First connected a analog phone in parralel with the card. There is no dial tone in the phone. The dial-tone will resume only when I disconnect the line to the card.
This result was same whether the server is ON of OFF. And also,I can hear the dial tone when connect to the other ports of the card ( which are not activated).

(4 port card, Only one port is activated)

Thanks,
Arun S

Sounds like a bad card. Glad it’s under warranty!

BF