Loud Environmental Noise Causing Issues

We have a location that has some very loud environmental noise at times. When the user talks on the phone using speaker the other party cuts in and out even when the person in the loud environment is not talking. When the person in the loud environment then grabs and uses the handset the other party is heard just fine with no breaks in the conversation.

I’m guessing this is due to the fact that the system is processing the background noise as the person talking and with phone conversations two people aren’t usually talking at the same time, so this could be causing some issues.

Is there any settings I can try for this extension to reduce this issue. They do like to use speaker phone at the location as the conversation is usually with more than 1 person.

Hi,

Probably your phone is not a full duplex in its speaker phone. Find yourself an ip phone that has a full duplex speaker.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

We are using Digium D50 units. They have full duplex speaker phone as a feature. Right now the ports on the phone are setup to auto configure. Maybe I need to manually set these numbers to 100Mb/sec Full Duplex?

No, that won’t help, the phones software/hardware does the echo cancellation, some are better than others, but any tune-able parameters will be only available through the phone’s interfaces.

Hi,

You are both mistaken. The full/half duplex speaker phone is a term that is also used to describe an audio capability of a speaker.
I have looked at the specification of this phone and apparently it has Full duplex speakerphone with echo cancellation.
But as you have described, the microphone is getting muted because of your noisy environment. I suggest you to approach the engineering teams of Digium, to explore it because it is definitely a bug in the hardware.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

1 Like