Lots of Recent 2.10 Activity to Close Things Up

Things have been pretty busy over the last week or two if you have been watching [url=/trac/timeline]all the tickets being closed[/url], moved around, checkins, etc. We've been busy going over all the tickets filed under 2.10, making sure to review and/or address any outstanding issues that may have been missed, dealing with a minor security issue that surfaced briefly last week but was quickly closed, and so on. Here are a few details as to where things stand based on all this activity!

Minor Security Update

Since there were three or four threads in the forums that flared up out of concerns last week on this issue I thought I’d just touch on it here. There was a checkin for the User Portal, otherwise known as ARI, which allowed the ARI admin credentials to be obtained without authentication. The module was published on Monday of last week and upon being reported in the various forum threads, on Wednesday if I recall correctly, it was fixed and published the next day, not quite 3 days after being published. What was of particular concern to some folks was that often the FreePBX and ARI admin credential are one and the same although this is easy to change in Advanced Settings.

2.10 Closing Up

On the 2.10 front I’ve been going over about 140 tickets or so to determine which ones have already been closed, which ones are going to be pushed to another release, and which ones are still active. Of the active ones, there were a handful of minor bugs that had not been addressed and have since been fixed. There were also several feature requests that had been missed. In many of the cases where patches had been applied we’ve folded these in so thanks to all of you who have provided those patches and at the same time, sorry that some of them took several months to get in. However … when you go through the effort to provide us with patches we do try to go through the effort of getting those into the code base when appropriate, even if it is a bit eleventh hour! There were also a handful of feature requests that were not too hard or risky to implement and get checked in so we decided to crank these out vs. pushing them to the next release given they had been in the ticket system for a while.

A couple of the late entries that are of interest to many people were on the Follow Me module. There is now a destination on Follow Me, listed under the “Follow Me” category, that allows you to simply use the extension destinations. This is the default when a Follow Me is added. This means it will attempt to go to the proper voicemail greeting (by checking on the extension state of the Follow-Me if not answered), or any configured Extension Destinations, etc. The other addition to Follow Me is a set of Advanced Settings which allow you to have a Follow-Me automatically created when a new extension is created. There is a short list of the configuration parameters in Advanced Settings as well to choose defaults for Follow-Me as well as what to choose when auto-creating a new Follow Me if enabled.

Beyond Follow Me there are quite a few other late entries. You can always sort through the closed tickets against the release or simply get everything updated and and start looking for any new code.

There have been a series of issues reported in several forum threads about remote backup issues with warm standby scenarios. Those and a handful of other reported issues with Backup have been just recently fixed and checked in so thanks for all the help flushing these out and please continue to file issues in the bug tracker after testing the latest if things still aren’t right. A lot of effort has gone in to completely rewrite this module with the intent on extreme flexibility and robustness. At this point it’s probably excelled beyond the old Backup and only continues to get hardened as all of you help flush out subtle issues. Thanks to the Schmooze Com, Inc. team for all their effort on this!

Next Open Telephony Training Seminar (OTT)

On the training front, we want to extend a big thanks to all of you who joined us in Naple, FL last month. The training was a great success and the new format with much more extensive lab work was very well received. We got lots of great feedback from the class which we are incorporating into our upcoming training in Minneapolis, MN in May. There’s a $300 savings early bird special going on right now so if you’re thinking about coming go have a look because once the special is over, there’s no more deals! We’re looking forward to our next class!

For now, thanks for all of you who have been actively testing and providing feedback on our extended 2.10 Release Candidate! We’ve got thousands of users running it so we’ll be formally making it final in the coming days!

Philippe - On Behalf of the FreePBX Team!