Lookup Extensions Between Two FreePBX Servers by Name

I have two FreePBX 14 servers each at a different WAN connected sites.

I have an IAX2 trunk configured between the servers and I can successfully call extensions on either server from a phone connected to the other.

I have also configured DUNDi between the two servers and can successfully do Dundi lookups from the CLI on either server.

What I don’t know how to do is allow extension lookup by name between the servers.

For example:

On Server 1 I have a user Jane at ext 1111
On Server 2 I have a user John at ext 2222

I can call successfully both ways.

I would like John to be able to find Jane in the Directory on PBX 1 and for Jane’s name information to show up on John’s phone when he dials her extension and vise versa.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get that functionality working?

I would really appreciate any help I can get. I am new to FreePBX and I am really stumped.

Thanks

Describe how John looks up the directory?

If through the Directory Module, you can add custom entries.
If through PhoneApps, you should be able to build a global contact list.

Thank you for the feedback.

I’m doing the lookup from a handset using the 411 extension.

It works for extensions on the same server but not for those on the remote server.

Is there any way to have the servers sync their individual directories with one another automatically?

I’d rather not have to update a server manually each time I create a new extension on the other one.

I don’t think there’s currently a way of doing it automatically.

You can file a feature request to add the Directory to Bulk Handler, and then you can automate an export on PBX1 and a import on PBX2.

If you were using a SIP trunk between your systems, the above could be accomplished by enabling and trusting rpid (remote party id) on your trunk. If there are corresponding params in IAX2, I have never heard of them.

I can switch from an IAX2 trunk to a SIP trunk.

I’ll just reconfigure the DUNDi to work over SIP instead.

Can you point me to some documentation on this trusting rpid?

Thanks

Going to research it in the meantime.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

The export and import of the directory between the servers didn’t work.

I can’t help but to think that I’m not the first person to want to do this.

I’m sure there’s a way

I said earlier that it doesn’t exist yet in Bulk Handler. How did you try export/import?

I exported the users from one server and imported them on the other

Ok,

The SIP trunk with the trusting RPID setting allows John to see Jane’s info when he dials her extension from his phone. Thanks for that help

If I manually crate entries in the Asterisk Phonebook module on Server 1 for the extensions on Server 2 and vice versa then the lookup by name using the 411 extension works.

It’s manual and tedious but it works. I’m still looking to see if there is a way to automate that process.

Thanks for the help thus far.

1 Like

Automated process would be great.