Looking for upgrade help

I am looking for a documented process for upgrading FreePBX/Trixbox/Asterisk from V2.2 to V2.6.1 that will allow me to migrate the actual configuration of the PBX (extensions, voice mail, routes, etc) such that I do not have to reconfigure all the settings on the newly built PBX, and such that I do not lose the voice mail that has been saved by the users of the PBX.

Is this possible, or do I have to start from scratch?

I have done a backup in 2.2 and then tried to restore it in 2.6.1 but when I did I didn’t see any of the settings for anything, and though I updated the modules in the new version prior to doing the restore, after the restore of the backup from 2.2, the dashboard reports that I now have 43 modules that are out of date.

Any help here?

Thanks in advance,
Ah

Using the backup and restore module you MUST backup and restore to the same version of FreePBX otherwise when it does not work well. So if you do it install the latest FreePBX first, then do a backup and go for it.BUT realize that trixbox has taken freepbx and branched it for their own reasons so it’s possible that it will not work now either.

The proper place to ask this is in the trixbox forums.

Thank you for responding, I was concerned that this was the case from what I had seen during my testing on my PBX sandbox. I posted this issue on the Trixbox forum, and though I did get a reply, it never did answer the question of whether the old configuration could be migrated to a new version as concisely as yours and on top of that was a bit demeaning.

I’m really surprised that there isn’t a upgrade path for moving to new versions given the extensive configuration of a PBX with over 40 extensions in this particular case. Plus as I’m sure is usually the case, a number of users are voice mail pack rats and as such it’s “OMG, what do you mean we’ll lose our saved voice mail…” I know I can archive or copy the voice mail directory tree and by doing so at least keep the actual wav recordings and their accompanying text files that contain the actual call information, but given a new install and config, users won’t be able to directly access their old voice mail through the phones or the ARI.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not slamming the product, after all you just cannot beat the price, but somehow the inability to migrate configurations seems short sighted. Sure that means there’s more money to be made in the long run, but it does make the sale of upgrading to new hardware and up to date software more difficult.

Thanks again for your response, it’s helped a lot in confirming what I originally suspected…

Ah

part of your complaint will have to go to the trixbox forum.
But there are several reasons.
Going from tb 2.2.x to > 2.4.0 and above is a New OS, new version of asterisk, etc. So because of the new version of the OS which by the way CentOS does not provide a way to upgrade from CentOS 4.x to CentOS 5.x you need to to a complete rebuild. At the same time they did that they have a also settled on a newer version of Freepbx to start at. So it complicates things.

So the way to do it is to upgrade Existing boxes FreePBX to the latest version. then you can do a simple backup and restore on new box at same version of FreePBX (remember you might need to upgrade that right after building it)The ugly catch is that trixbox also decided to branch (fork) FreePBx for it’s own reasons so things going forward might or might not work and that is their issue not FreePBX.

Backing up and restoring to the same FreePBX version is never a problem it’s when you jump versions, as there is a possibility that the underlying database had something changed, added, etc. So restoring to a older version can cause huge problems. So Process is simple. Make a backup of current version. upgrade to later version, verify things are good, then backup again, move that to newer box and restore.

It’s just like going to the auto part store and purchasing 10 years of air filters for your current car. They will work for 10 years. But if you upgrade the car to same model newer year they might or might not work if they changed the engine.

Ah, Now may be the time to dump Trixbox and build the system from bare metal.

That way you have more control, with the track record of the TB team
I would be looking for more of the same from mess up’s them.

I second that motion.

I have a tb system currently that will be getting replaced by a non-tb setup.

This particular issue with this customer is a dead one. The customer has decided to go back to using the original vendor who built this PBX. I happen to know that it’s primarily due to money, given that the original vendor has quoted them a price of $400.00 for a “new server”. Yes that’s right, $400.00… Now I cannot imagine what comprises a $400.00 server, but I shudder to think…

I do understand the complexities of migrating across multiple versions of all the different pieces of software, including the OS changes. I had a ‘bad feeling’ about this being possible from the start. As I explained it to the customer "It’s not like a service pack upgrade in Weendoughs, it’s more like going from XP to Vista (yikes). Granted that’s quite a simplified analogy, but it served to drive my point home.

Still and all it would be nice if there was either an upgrade process or tool that would support saving the voice mail that many users hoard. Sure it’s not an ideal practice on the part of users, but it’s not a perfect world…

Anyway I’m jumping ship on Trixbox. Shortly I will be building a test box based on Asterisk/FreePBX, NOT Trix. I want those who are tracking this thread to know that the main reason I’m “changing teams” is this forum and the constructive, helpful responses I’ve received here, as opposed to some of the condescending replies (when I actually get a response) I’ve received on the Trixbox forum. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions, and it’s reassuring to know that this forum and it’s users are available to offer helpful and positive suggestions for resolution of the issues I may encounter.

One final question, where is the best place to start as far as the build process for FreePBX? I’m hoping that there is a quick answer that can be offered to start me on the right path. I’m not looking for someone to “hand hold” me through the process, just a place to start obtaining information on the build process. I do try my best to “RTFM” when I can.

Thanks again for your time and assistance,
Ah…

Well have you looked at Elastix, PBX-in-a-flash, etc as distros?

For hand building a system take a look in the forum under Documentation, Getting Started. Their are several set’s of instructions depending on your OS preference and comfort level.