Logrotate Bug?

(Albatros) #1

Hello everybody,
While I was carrying out maintenance operations on my FreePBX server, I noticed that some log files are no longer rotated since April.
Could it be due to a bug introduced by some update?
Below is a screenshot showing the full file as an example.

As you can see, on April 18, the rotation ends. Therefore, if I open the current full file, which has grown to 566MB in the meantime, the first line is dated April 18th as the last file rotated.

I have also checked the configuration files in /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk and the configuration seems correct to me. Here is how the configuration is set:

/ var / log / asterisk / queue_log {
daily
missingok
rotate 30
notifempty
sharedscripts
create 0640 asterisk asterisk
on asterisk asterisk
}

/ var / spool / mail / asterisk {
daily
missingok
rotate 7
notifempty
sharedscripts
create 0660 asterisk mail
on asterisk mail
}

/ var / log / asterisk / messages
/ var / log / asterisk / event_log
/ var / log / asterisk / full
/ var / log / asterisk / dtmf
/ var / log / asterisk / fail2ban {
daily
missingok
rotate 7
notifempty
sharedscripts
create 0640 asterisk asterisk
on asterisk asterisk
postrotate
/ usr / sbin / asterisk -rx ‘logger reload’> / dev / null 2> / dev / null
endscript
}
#This comment is to fix rpm file replacing
#Config file built on Fri Dec 11 09:16:15 UTC 2020

I ask you for help to understand what is happening. This anomaly, besides being annoying, makes system maintenance much more difficult.

Thank you so much.

Can you give us the output of:
fwconsole ma list

and the output of:
/usr/sbin/logrotate -s /var/lib/logrotate/logrotate.status /etc/logrotate.conf -d
The info for /var/log/asterisk/full in that output might give some clues.

You might also want to try this if you see any permissions related complaints.
fwconsole chown

@Albatros,

I suspect I know what your issue is… I’ve noticed this sporadically on systems, I’d look at the processes and would notice a hung logrotate due to pm2 reloadLogs. Like this :

asterisk 16054 16054     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00 node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
asterisk 16054 16055     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_ node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
asterisk 16054 16056     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_ node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
asterisk 16054 16057     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_ node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
asterisk 16054 16058     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_ node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
asterisk 16054 16059     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_ node /var/www/html/admin/modules/pm2/node/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2 reloadLogs
root     13938 13938     1  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/anacron -s
root     16014 16014 13938  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00   |_/bin/bash /bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily
root     16019 16019 16014  0 Jul06 ?        00:00:00       |_awk -v progname=/etc/cron.daily/logrotate progname { ????   print progname ":\n" ????   progname=""; ???       } ???       { print; }

In the example above, I’d kill 16054 and then awk -v progname=/etc/cron.daily/logrotate progname ... would continue like normal.

(system) closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

(Lorne Gaetz) opened #5

(Jared Busch) #6

Just got a call about poor performance form a client…

Look what I found.

killed pm2 and everything resolved itself.

(Communication Technologies) #7

What version of FreePBX is this box?

(Jared Busch) #8

Mine is 15. Last updated June 30. And then today. At least by my normal script. If I ran something manually I have not had time to check.

(Jared Busch) #9

Actually seems there is something else also happening, so the pm2 kill might be unrelated to the log in my case.

I just ran logrotate manually via sudo /usr/sbin/logrotate -s /var/lib/logrotate/logrotate.status /etc/logrotate.conf -d

That is very obviously not rotated.

(Communication Technologies) #10

Having this same issue.

/dev/mapper/SangomaVG-root is maxed now.

Can I delete the full log without causing an issue?

better to truncate the log files rather than to delete them

echo : > /var/log/asterisk/full

you can call lograte with the -v (verbose) and -f (force) single instances logrotate -v -f /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk to better see what is going on here

(Ruler2112) #12

I remember having something like this on my PBXact 13 box once about 18 months ago! In my case, I started getting complaints of poor call quality. Found that the process was running away, consuming 100% of the CPU time and making audio sound like absolute crap. Killed the process and the problems disappeared. Hasn’t happened since.

edit - I didn’t notice if the logs hadn’t rotated or not, but DO remember the name of the process was pm2… the same as what @dakudos posted malfunctioned on his box.

Perhaps all three instances

/etc/logrotate.d/freepbx-core
/etc/logrotate.d/freepbx-ucp
/etc/logrotate.d/freepbx-xmpp

trying to /usr/sbin/fwconsole pm2 --reload-logs -q possibly close to simultaneously , might clog things up

time /usr/sbin/fwconsole pm2 --reload-logs

would show how long that process takes, it’s probably not a good thing to try to do that if another instance is running.

(Jared Busch) #14

I decided to let it run and see what happened this morning. Not surprised, it is all better.

(Lorne Gaetz) closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.