Login to phone GUI button

Hi,
FPBX v16.0.40.8
phone: Yealink
I have not purchased the commercial EPM (yet).
When setting up an extension, the extension number is the ‘Register Name’ and Secret is the password for logging into the Yealink phone GUI. After adding the extension, I login to the phone GUI and successfully get the phone to register on the FPBX. I logout of the phone.
At that point I would like to go to FPBX, select the extension and click a button that will send the username and password to the phone.
Does FPBX have a ‘login into phone GUI’ button?
Thank you,

Hello,

EPM does not have a “login into phone GUI’ button”. The way it works is you select.the model of phone and choose the parameters that EPM allows you to change. Once you do that you go to another screen that essentially ties the Mac address of the phone to an extension in FreePBX. You would generally set your DHCP server in site to send an option to the phone that tells the phone where it’s configuration server is (The IP or FQDN of your FreePBX). When you tie the phone to the extension in FreePBX it will generate a configuration file and if you have DHCP setup correctly, your phone will automatically reach out to FreePBX to find it’s configuration when it is plugged in. No need to use the phones GUI if you have everything setup correctly.

Daniel,
In order to better understand my question, I am currently using 3_X and have Yealink T27/46/48/53/54 phones. I am considering moving from 3C_ to FreePBX.

I believe your message has more to do with provisioning the phone than how to get to the phone’s GUI after it has been provisioned. Some will be provisioned by FPBX, but others will be provisioned by .cfg files located on a TFP server.

‘set your DHCP server’. I do have a DHCP server, but I am not using option 66 to provide the provisioning server’s IP address.

FPBX Zero touch provisioning will not be used.
Here are basic steps I use to deploy phones,

1. Factory reset phone.
  2. Change phone’s admin password.
  3. Add account-1 credentials and PBX host IP address/port.
  4. Add auto-provisioning server’s URL and username/password.
    most phones get the _CX URL and get their BLF keys from _CX.
    others get the FTP server’s URL and get their BLF keys from FTP .cfg files.
  5. commit and reboot

I can get to any (including the FTP provisioned phones) of the phones’ GUI from a button inside _CX’s Phones page. This makes getting to the phone’s GUI easy.

I don’t have the paid for version of EPM and I can’t find a trial version.
’ go to another screen’.
Is that the EPM - Extension Mapping screen?
After the extension is mapped, is there a ‘phone GUI’ button located on the screen or maybe on another screen?

In the EPM - Global Settings screen, what is the ‘Phone Admin Password’ used for?
Will all the phones have the same password to login to the phone’s GUI?

Thank you,

Daniel,
more info. The reason why I use FTP server and .cfg files is because my receptionist’s phone has multiple accounts. 3_X only sets BLF line key to account-1. Also 3C_ does not have a way to configure Account-2 username/password/IP address. I see in FPBX that setting a BLF line key has an account number drop down. That is good, but I have not found a way in FPBX to set Account-2 username/password/IP address.

Is there a way in FPBX to set Account-2 username/password/IP address?

Thank you,

Hello,

In EPM you can assign which extension is tied to which account on a phone with the extension mapping page.

There is no “login to phone GUI” button in FreePBX or EPM as the goal with using EPM is to avoid having to touch the phones GUI. (You could of course still navigate to the phones IP to use the GUI if you wanted to, but there is usually no reason to need to do that if you have everything setup correctly.)

The phone admin password is the password that will be used to access the phones GUI and on screen admin menu. This will be global for all phones that are connected to your PBX using EPM. (There is a default password that ships with EPM… You should change this if you use EPM.)

I would use DHCP option 66 so that all you really need to do is factory reset the phone and then plug it into the network.

-Daniel

Starting with a Yealink phone that has been factory reset, the phone’s GUI default login credentials are
User: admin
Password: admin

In the EPM - Global Settings,
Phone Admin Password: 874812
Phone User Password: 111111
When the phone is provisioned with EPM, what will the phone’s GUI login credentials be?
Password:

Thank you,

Just a wild guess, but perhaps try either

Password: 874812

or

User: user
Password: 111111

but expect one to have more power, Admin/admin and User/user would need to be clarified by the author or her editor.

1 Like

What he said ^

Daniel,
I have given much thought to having the same GUI login credentials on all phones. My thoughts are,
It is less secure to have a single password, but I wouldn’t have to maintain a password list for all phones.
The password in question is protected by the FPBX admin password. Meaning you have to login to FPBX as an admin to see the GUI password. I can live with that.

Thank you for you help,

Daniel,
About option 66.
I am using 3_X as my PBX. It provisions most of phones, but a few are provisioned via a FTP server. The few phones provisioned by FTP are because they have multiple accounts.
I setup option 66 in my DHCP server with my FTP server credentials.
(Just a note here. I found that ‘ftp://username:password@serverIP:port’ works for option 66 ASCII value that is passed to the phone.)
What I discovered was that ALL phones would attempt to provision from FTP when rebooted and would break the 3_X provisioned phones. That is the way option 66 is designed to work. What I needed was a way to ask DHCP for a FTP server address based upon the type of client I was. I found that option 60 and option 43 does that very thing.
In the Yealink phone Settings – Auto Provision – IPv4 DHCP Option Value: yealink-ftp. (This populates option 60 with the Vendor Class Identifier)
In my DHCP server, I created an option 43 entry.
Name: Yealink FTP Server
Option Code: 43
Vendor Class Identifier (VCI): yealink-ftp (this matches the above phone’s entry)
Option Value: ftp://username:password@serverIP:port (this is passed back to the phone if the VCI is matched)
The ah-ha moment was when I found that the phone populates/sends option 60 and you don’t add an option 60 to DHPC server. You only add a matching option 43 in DHCP server which sends the ASCII value back to the phone

Thank you,

dnsmasq which you likely already have can be arranged to serve tftp files from directories conditional on mac address of client, (same with dhcp)

Buit for security, then I suggest you only use https with a certificate tied to an obscure ‘other’ domain

1 Like

I would also point out again that the goal of EPM is to not have to log in to the GUI of the phone to configure it, including those with multiple accounts. So I would set a DHCP option to be the FQDN of your FreePBX and let FreePBX (EPM) do the full provisioning. As far as all the phones having the same password for the GUI, that is pretty standard, but I would make sure to generate a strong password with at least 16-20 characters.

Finally, for the provisioning protocol, definitely use HTTPS with a certificate for security purposes.

-Daniel