Limit Directed Call Pickup from BLF

Hi. I would like to disable directed call pickup for all but a specific set of staff (and only for specific extensions). For those who have it enabled I would like to program BLF buttons that would answer the allowed extensions. From what I can see from testing, the pickup groups isnt going to give me the BLF button (with indicator). Is there another way to accomplish this?

Directed call pickup doesn’t depend on group pickup. By default, anyone can dial **EXT which is the directed call and it is enabled by default. Pickup group is disabled by default and it is the function that allows you to pick up calls using *8 without needing to know which extension is ringing.

Directed Call Pickup is a basic Asterisk function, and I’m pretty sure you can’t disable it on a “per user” or even “per extension” basis.

This is going to be a challenge. First, you’ll have to write a special context that set up a hint for button so that, when it’s ringing, the hint goes on. This is NOT going to be something that you can use “per user” - the hints will be tied to specific phones.

Then, you’ll need to make sure that button press for that button does the directed dial (**extension) only when the phone is ringing, and gets cleared when the phone isn’t ringing any more.

This is not something you can do from the GUI. You’re going to need to write at least one (probably three) custom contexts to handle the new functions (on-ring, off-ring, a ‘starter’ context to set the phone up). If it was me, I’d probably start with a few development credits from Sangoma and see what they can do.

All extensions have settings for pickup groups and call groups , all extensions can be in more than one group of each , pickup is restricted to extensions that are in one or more of the call groups extensions you define.

https://support.digium.com/community/s/article/Call-and-Pickup-Groups

With the paid commercial module, Class of Service, you can limit which extensions have access to any feature code, including directed call pickup.

One of these days I’m going to have to get you guys to give me a “demo” copy of that so I can learn all the cool crap it does. It seems like every other time I say “beats me”, the answer is “Just Buy COS.”

1 Like

https://www.gofundme.com :grinning:

Excellent! I will give that a try. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.