libss7 32bit in 64bit installation

I have a new install using FreePBX-1.1009.210.62-x86_64-Full-1350438464.iso. After struggling to get the two Rhino R4FXOEC cards to work, I contacted Rhino support which gave me a setup script to do the setup. After having further problems, I gave them access to the box; after looking around they told me the following.

"Unfortunately there is a couple bugs it the 64bit version of FreePBX. From my understanding the developer does have a fix but you may have to contact them or check the forums.

They packaged a 32 bit version of libpri and libSS7 which prevents chan_dahdi from loading.

The fix may be as simple as running ‘yum update libss7 libpri’ but it could as easily break things so it is always easiest to confirm the fix with the developers. ".
So I did some searching on the FreePBX site and found this document. http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx-distro/distro-discussion-help/freepbx-distro-1-10xx-210-62-releases-stable-releases

Seems that I needed two upgrades to solve the problem.

1.1009.210.62-2- Fix bug with crontabs not being installed at install time.
1.1010.210.62-1- Upgrade to Asterisk 10.9 and all Centos 6.2 Packages. Fix bug in 64bit libpri and libss7

I did the upgrades.

Today I contacted Rhino support again still trying to get to work.

They looked at my system and reported;

However, there is still a problem libss7 on this system, which is preventing Asterisk from using any DAHDi hardware.

pbx1*CLI> module load chan_dahdi.so
Unable to load module chan_dahdi.so
Command 'module load chan_dahdi.so ’ failed.
[2012-11-14 14:01:23] WARNING[3543]: loader.c:405 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module ‘chan_dahdi.so’: libss7.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[2012-11-14 14:01:23] WARNING[3543]: loader.c:870 load_resource: Module ‘chan_dahdi.so’ could not be loaded.

ldd /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/chan_dahdi.so

linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff137f8000)
libtonezone.so.2.0 => /usr/lib64/libtonezone.so.2.0 (0x00007fb4acebb000)
libpri.so.1.4 => /usr/lib64/libpri.so.1.4 (0x00007fb4acc41000)
libss7.so.1 => not found
libopenr2.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libopenr2.so.3 (0x00007fb4aca23000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fb4ac807000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007fb4ac476000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007fb4ac1f2000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fb4ad3f3000)

The reason it “can’t find” libss7 is because the libss7 is 32-bit, while chan_dahdi and everything else is 64bit.

file /usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/chan_dahdi.so /usr/lib/libss7.so.1 /usr/lib/libss7.so.1.0

/usr/lib64/asterisk/modules/chan_dahdi.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/lib/libss7.so.1: symbolic link to `libss7.so.1.0’
/usr/lib/libss7.so.1.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

Based on this information, I would have to say that “• 1.1010.210.62-1- Upgrade to Asterisk 10.9 and all Centos 6.2 Packages. Fix bug in 64bit libpri and libss7” was unsuccessful. (libpri has a 64bit library installed, so perhaps that portion of the fix was accurate.)
These are bugs that need to be addressed by the FreePBX distribution before your R4FXO, or in fact, any DAHDi hardware at all, will work on your system

Before wrote to the form I did “yum list libss7”

[root@pbx1 boot]# yum list libss7
/usr/lib/yum-plugins/kmod.py:25: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
from sets import Set, ImmutableSet
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmod
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Installed Packages
libss7.x86_64 1.0.2-2_centos6 @anaconda-CentOS-201112091719.x86_64/6.2
[root@pbx1 boot]#

As you can see it shows the package as a 64 bit. I questioned this with Rhino support, and they replyed with:

This is actually very simple to explain. The libss7 rpm provided by FreePBX is tagged as being 64bit, thus what you see in yum, however the actual file that’s installed on-disk is 32bit (confirmed by running “file …pathto/libss7.*”). In short, the RPM provided by FreePBX is “bad” and should not contain any 32bit libraries.
Your yum output coupled with the information I provided should be more than enough for FreePBX to see the problem with their RPM and resolve it.

Can anyone give me any help on this?

Thanks In advance for your help!
Jerry

You should move this discussion to

Distro Discussion & Help

This is for installation and should not be Schmooze distro specific or we risk the chance of merging FreePBX with Schmooze, which I am sure neither party would endorse for exclusivity reasons.

ref:-

Distro Discussion & Help
Place to ask questions, give suggestions, seek help from the community on FreePBX Disto related issues. Issues around FreePBX not specifically related to the distro are better posted in the various FreePBX threads.

I will look into this in a bit.

I was pretty sure this was tested and confirmed fixed by another user.

Dicko please do not refer to this as Schmooze Distro. This is the FreePBX Distro and not Schmooze Distro. There is no such thing as a Schmooze Distro and you are confusing people.

Well whoever builds the make file for libss7 was hardcoding the lib directory to be /usr/lib instead of figuring out where lib is located. On all Centos 6.x boxes that are 64bit lib is not /usr/lib64 not /usr/lib like it was on Centos 5.x.

We have had to fix atleast 15 packages now that all hard code the lib directory.

You should be able to yum update to fix your problem.

Tony,

We all know who works so hard to build and distribute your Distro, that would be you.

Who pays you? Why is there a Schmooze logo at the bottom of the page? Surely someone is footing the bill, Bandwidth or Schmooze but not per-se the open source FreePBX that was, I believe and hope it remains so, unaffiliated with any commercial enterprise, I am sad to see the copyright is ceded to Bandwidth, If I am wrong please un-confuse me and everyone else who reads this :slight_smile:

I would love to help you free yourself from Centos and it’s upstream entanglements, there is no reason that this wonderful product could not be truly distribution agnostic, yet try to use it basically on Debian, Rasberry or BSD and see why some remain frustrated. Although many of us do that on a regular basis you guys still make it necessary to unnecessarily patch your code.

I await your un-biased reply.

regards

dicko

(I accept that this particular reply belongs in the Installation forum as it was originally posted and should be distro agnostic no? Value added does not always mean better, often it means more restrictive as you buy into that purveyor’s concept, not that I am not impressed with you basic concept, just the lack of open source thingy rankles )

Dicko

Please do not hijack a thread. Please just stop this. I will not respond to you. This is the FreePBX Distro not a Schmooze Distro. Look at the bottom of freepbx.org and you will see Schmooze and Bandwidth are both sponsors.

You rarely do, this post was moved from Installation to here, I was the first to post against it, if you think that is hijacking ask Scott. Don’t be petulant, just answer the questions.

You are hijacking a thread by wanting to talk about Centos versus other OS’s. Please just stop. You do this all the time. Stop hijacking peoples threads. Then making statements that its a Schnmooze Distro when its the FreePBX Distro and it is presented that way everywhere and part of the FreePBX Core team.

Schmooze and Bandwidth are both sponsors and are stated that way.

Again Tony,

I can’t hijack a thread on the installation forum which I was the first responder to, that Centos is not ideal is my opinion, that you think otherwise is yours. I do this all the time because it is possible that you might need a different look at things. I have been doing this a lot longer than you, I believe that I do it better, call that arrogance, in this case just fix your somewhat broken distro and I will continue to do my own installations in a pristine and functional fashion, if you want help, I offer it.

I guess there will be no other answer from you as to my reasonable questions.

There is NO update from Centos 4 to 5 to 6 by your own admission. Have you even thought of the decidedly lame inferences of your choice, have you EVER used Debian and gone form lenny to wheezy? stop being a luddite and join the modern world.

Yesterday, I did a “yum update libss7” The system reported nothing to update.

So I did a “yum reinstall libss7” and reinstalled the libss7. But the system did not work and I did not find the libss7 in the directory /usr/lib64.

Today I tried “yum update libss7” the system updated.
Now I find libss7 in directory /usr/lib64.

Now dahdi seems to load.

My Thanks to the people who made the fix, it now works!
Thanks Tony Lewis you were right!

Sincerly
Jerry

Glad we could resolve this for you. Sorry your thread had to be side tracked.