Just call me a chicken, but before I try, are updates fixed?

For some reason I am leery about asking this, but I am anyway. I am chicken to do any updates to my systems after all the problems whether using the CLI and yum or the GUI. I have read about a success, and there seems to be a few prerequisites to clean the yum cache and etc.

My systems are currently FreePBX 14.0.11 running Asterisk 13.22.0 and my currently running kernel is 3.10.0-862.9.1.el7.x86_64. Systems are also both Intel Atom dual core processors. I hate problems and since all these issues I have been hands off as far as updates. (Modules are all up to date)

Is it safe to update my systems using yum? Or the GUI? Or should I just leave well enough alone… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

If it is safe, what exactly are the current - safest steps to do so?

Thanks!

John

I personally would run them all from the CLI. I did a fresh install a few days ago and the OS updates took a good while to finish. just be patient even if they seem to be hung.i’d probably update the modules then the OS. Running each command 2-3 time back to back probably redundant but it’s something I’ve always done.

I’ve had multiple times FreePBX systems destroyed after updates and if you look into the forms you will find every other day people having problems after updates and if you don’t want to edit config files and run lots of commands which might or might not work to get your system up and running or in worst case scenario reinstall the system and run the not so turn key restores from backups, I really don’t need new features I just want Rock Solid stability I want my PBX to have a higher up time of my home phone, unless if you have a virtual machine with snapshots don’t do the updates and freepbx virtual machine compatibility has mixed opinions, and if you are worried about security lockdown port forwarding to your sip provider in your Hardware firewall and change your 20 character passwords to your sip provider once in awhile and use VPN for remote phones

They were never broken.

LOL sorvani! With the number of issues over the past couple weeks, a couple mentions of problems with repos as I recall, one would sure think there was a problem in there somewhere.

Yes part of that problem was not a Sangoma issue, it was a RHEL issue. There are RHEL repos that the system pulls from now and they had an issue. If you review the RHEL
forums and other Google searches you’ll see a few weeks ago all sorts of RHEL users were having the same issue FreePBX users reported here.

Then that responsibility is a 100% on you. Your home phone service is managed and maintained by another entity (the provider) so if something goes wrong you can blame them. In this case if something goes wrong it’s on you. Sure you can point the blame back at Sangoma about this but if you’re so worried about rock solid performance than you should have a sandbox environment that you can make sure things like updates are solid and won’t mess up your PBX.

But let’s be real here, you can point to reports on this forum of people having issues with updates. In some cases those issues have been Sangoma’s doing or a third party (like RHEL in this recent issue) but a lot of these cases are non-Linux/non-Telephony guys updating their system and not understanding all the things that should be done in these cases.

So have there been updates that had errors or broken things and it was Sangoma’s fault? Yes.

Has every single update issue that has been reported on this forum Sangoma’s fault? No. By a large scale they are generally user generated issues.

Please just don’t “advise” people to not update their systems and gaslight them based on handfuls of reported issues when the user base is around 100’s of thousands. At the end of the day any software/appliance vendor out there would consider even a 1,000 users of a 500K user base having system update errors acceptable because it’s like .2%, hell I bet even half a percent is acceptable with those types of user bases.

Major vendors screw their users quite a lot with updates and those are generally the closed sourced vendors where you just can’t go in and issue a work around or the quick fix that a community member outlines. You’re stuck waiting for the vendor to fix their mistake and that generally takes a big backlash for that to happen quickly.

2 Likes

I would never blame Sangoma for anything I don’t pay a dime for the freepbx distro and it’s mind-blowing what it can do for free, having said that I’m really not in the finger pointing game I personally had multiple system failures only from updates and it’s really a pain in the neck having to fix it everytime, I believe it’s me to blame for updating I don’t see the downside to not updating I’m behind a hardware firewall and everything is locked down even to the LAN I’ve seen these custom Factory machines that work day in and day out they all run Windows XP they never update the Department of Defense also runs on Windows XP with some weapon systems I don’t have time to test every update for me personally if it ain’t broke don’t fix it works very well and I haven’t had any issues since I stopped updating if I don’t hear about a major security issue that might affect me behind my firewall I will not update because my end goal is up time that’s why I use Hardware raid and I have redundant power supplies UPS backup but guess what I haven’t yet had a hardware problem but updates did bring down my system, but if you are hosted in the cloud without any hardware firewall or VPN option I would really not advise you not to update I would reconsider it if they had a 90-day defer updates option

The use of CLI confuses me here. Are people referring to the Asterisk CLI within Freepbx or connecting and logging into Linux.

fwiw, I waited until the dust settled and then did my updates last Tuesday night. I do my updates all the the cli now, so i do the following:

fwconsole ma upgradeall

when that is complete
go to gui, hit the red apply button, then back to cli and

yum -y upgrade

then reboot, I had no issues.

Thank you for understanding the difficulties in running a free distro.

3 Likes

even Microsoft has the same problems not long ago one of their updates the Windows 10 October 2018 Update deleted user files so even Microsoft cannot avoid major update issues that’s why they have defer updates so you can delay it for 6 months by then the problematic updates have been removed Mission critical systems that cannot afford downtime are not updated very often for example emergency call center equipment and 24/7 operations or important systems that lots of people rely on how often do you think the ATM machine gets updated systems that need to work every day cannot be updated on day 1 it doesn’t matter if the updates comes from apple or Microsoft or sangoma

2 Likes

Same result

fwconsole reload

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.