IVR problem with .wav files at 16 Bits / 8000Hz

I’m trying to setup an IVR. I have upload some .wav files by recording them at 16 Bits / 8000Hz with Audacity, but I’m having no success getting them to play.
I used some of the asterisk’s gsm file just to see if other files working and I was able to hear them.
Did anyone had the same problem?

Thank you in advance!

Stereo files won’t work, they must be mono. And be sure to upload them using the System Recordings page. Asterisk is VERY picky about the formats it will play.

Another thing that will keep them from playing is if the permissions or ownership are wrong. The System Recordings module is supposed to take care of that for you, though. But if you want to check, the files you upload using System Recordings should be in the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom directory.

I have never gotten files recorded with Audacity to work without additional massaging. Once I get them onto the Asterisk server, I run them through sox. It will be something like this:

sox -V musicfile.wav -r 8000 -c 1 newfile.wav

Windows sound recorder works great and you can create / save a profile for 8.000 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono 15kb/sec PCM .wav
so that you can save as with two clicks.