Issues with making a custom conference menu

I have a conference on which I want to simplify the menu. I want users to not be able to unmute. Since I can’t edit the confbridge_additional.conf file and change the default, I tried adding what i wanted to the confbridge_custom.conf but this didn’t stop the default menu from functioning.
I saw that extension_override_freepbx.conf is where I should be doing my changes but I’m not sure what the syntax is supposed to be.
Can someone let me know what to add/change?
Thanks in advance.

Not sure ti will work, but maybe these two options together? If it works, no code required.

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Conference+Module+User+Guide#ConferenceModuleUserGuide-QuietMode

Allow Menu

Yes/No - Whether to present a menu (user or admin) when ‘*’ is received (‘send’ to menu)

Mute on Join

Yes/No - Whether to mute everyone when they initially join the conference. Please note that if you do not have “Leader Wait” set to “Yes,” you will need to have “Allow Menu” set to “Yes” to be able to un-mute yourself.

Do you mean toggle the allow menu option off and have leader wait on?
I think I tried that. I guess i should have mentioned that i wanted the admin to be able to unmute/remute.
(i was able to add the option to mute/unmute everyone but the user could always press * and unmute themselves.)

You could combine the above approach with conference pro. That would give you a webpage control interface for the conference that the leader could push a button to mute and unmute.

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Conference+Pro-Admin+Guide#ConferencePro-AdminGuide-ConferencesinUserControlPanel(UCP)

I can’t use conference pro in my case because my users need to be able to make changes without a computer.

Looks like you will need to build your own using this.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ConfBridge+Configuration

Exclude the mute option and include the admin mute option.

Another option is to override an existing conference using the override conf file, editing out the necessary line.

Which file is the override conf file? I think I tried building my own but I guess I was putting it in the wrong file because it just added the menu instead of overriding. I put it in confbridge_custom.conf and I also tried putting it in extension_override_freepbx.conf.

extension_override_freepbx.conf is the right file if you are overriding an existing conference bridge that is built in FreePBX.

How I would do it is: copy the entire conference bridge logic from the FreePBX file to the override file. Then delete the one line that allows for user mute/unmute. When you do this the GUI controls for that conference bridge will no longer function. Changes would need to be made in the override file.
Or
In extension_custom.conf build out a complete conference bridge, using the linked document I provided.

• extension_custom is where to add contexts that exists in parallel with what is in FreePBX.

• extension_override is where you change the function of a context that already exists in FreePBX, regardless of what is set in the GUI.

Are you sure about that?

confbridge.conf has

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
; Do NOT edit this file as it is auto-generated by FreePBX. All modifications to ;
; this file must be done via the web gui. There are alternative files to make    ;
; custom modifications.                                                          ;
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
;
; This file is part of FreePBX.
;
;    FreePBX is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
;    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;    the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
;    (at your option) any later version.
;
;    FreePBX is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;    GNU General Public License for more details.
;
;    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
;    along with FreePBX.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
;

; confbridge_additional.conf:
; This file is where all FreePBX Auto-generated ConfBridge is done and the corresponding
; file should not be touched.
;
#include confbridge_additional.conf

; confbridge_custom.conf:
; This file can be used to add user configurations. Examples might include adding manual
; settings to the [default_user] and [default_bridge] sections that FreePBX does not
; currently generate and for FreePBX 2.10 there is currently no plan to be able to
; configure those settings. It should be noted that the dialplan does use the dialplan
; CONFBRIDGE() function to configure various settings which will override anything
; explicitly set here and thus needs to be configured in the GUI, but settings not
; controlled in the GUI can be added here and should apply.
;
#include confbridge_custom.conf

( no mention of ‘extensions’ here :wink: )

If there where an ‘override’ file for confbridge , it would need to be '#included . . ’ before the ‘additional’ one to work.

Now possibly the good news, editing confbridge.conf to reflect

#include confbridge_freepbxoverride.conf

seems to work and confbridge.conf is NOT autogenerated on a ‘fwconsole reload’ ( it WILL likely be attempted on on an upgrade , consider making it immutable)

1 Like

But is rewritten every time the module is installed/upgraded.

I spoke too soon apparently, thanks for the catch @dicko

Absolutely noted (post edited) , but IS a work around for its current lack in FreePBX (unless there is another way to more granularly customize confbridge in the GUI).

so my confbridge.conf should be:

"
; Do NOT edit this file as it is auto-generated by FreePBX. All modifications to ;
; this file must be done via the web gui. There are alternative files to make ;
; custom modifications, details at: http://freepbx.org/configuration_files ;
;
; This file is part of FreePBX.
;
; FreePBX is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
; the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
; (at your option) any later version.
;
; FreePBX is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
; GNU General Public License for more details.
;
; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
; along with FreePBX. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
;

; confbridge_additional.conf:
; This file is where all FreePBX Auto-generated ConfBridge is done and the corresponding
; file should not be touched.
;
#include confbridge_freepbxoverride.conf

; confbridge_custom.conf:
; This file can be used to add user configurations. Examples might include adding manual
; settings to the [default_user] and [default_bridge] sections that FreePBX does not
; currently generate and for FreePBX 2.10 there is currently no plan to be able to
; configure those settings. It should be noted that the dialplan does use the dialplan
; CONFBRIDGE() function to configure various settings which will override anything
; explicitly set here and thus needs to be configured in the GUI, but settings not
; controlled in the GUI can be added here and should apply.
;
#include confbridge_custom.conf "

Answer would be provided by “did it work?”

(there are duplucate lines)

Thanks for catching that. I assume I also have to edit include confbridge_freepbxoverride.conf.
And just double checking, I’m supposed to put the full bridge in “confbridge_freepbxoverride.conf”?

its not a matter of what you are ‘supposed’ to do, that is the format of how the extension overrides work, try it and see.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.