Issues - considering update

Hi,

I have a Trixbox 2.8.0.1 installation which I am using at home with 2 sip extensions.
Unfortunately, I have 2 issues which I couldn’t solve from either Trixbox or Asterisk discussion boards.
I hope to find an answer/solution here.

1- When I delete a voicemail from user’s mailbox, the SIP NOTIFY message to clear the MWI from sip client is not sent.
If I delete the voicemail dialing voicemail extension, then the sip client receives the SIP NOTIFY and MWI is cleared. But if I delete the voicemail from GUI, I don’t receive the SIP NOTIFY.
Is this related to FreePBX or not ?

2- In some cases, an external call which should be forwarded to multiple extensions because of ring group configuration doesn’t reach the extensions.
When I check the console log, I see that “dialparties.agi” script is returning (-1)
I don’t have any clue why it returns -1.
Yesterday, I found out in this forum that if "$astman = new AGI_AsteriskManager( );“
is replaced with
”$astman = $AGI->new_AsteriskManager();"
then it might solve the issue. Now I am trying this solution and it seems better. But I am not sure if the issue is solved 100% or not.

Because of these 2 issues, I really want to update FreePBX but I am not sure if that would spoil anything in my Trixbox installation.
is it possible to update FreePBX on a Trixbox installation ?
What are the steps for such update ?

I’d really appreciate if I can find answers to my questions above.
Thanks in advance,

MR

trixbox 2.8.x have a “forked” version of FreePBX 2.5.x. As such we can not guarantee that if you upgrade to FreePBX 2.6.0 everything is “as it was before”.

Search in these forums for upgrade possibilities from the “forked” version to The Real Thing.

As for the other issues, I am sorry, but I can’t help you (maybe some other want to step up and help) as I don’t use the trixbox distro and can’t actually tell you what’s wrong with either your voicemail or ring group.

However, if you set verbose level to 5 and look in your logs after you make a call you can see why dialparties return -1. Logs are in /var/log/asterisk

thank you.
I will try upgrading.
However, I’d like to understand if the issue (1) is related to FreePBX or not.
What is the responsible component (FreePBX or Asterisk) in such scenario ?

Thanks.

I’d appreciate any ideas…

I don’t think it is related to FreePBX as it is Asterisk that sends out the notify message. As it is a trixbox installation and as they supply Asterisk in their own rpms I would ask them.

thank you for your comment.
However, I’d like to re-mention that if I listen the voicemail from my phone (dialing in to voice mail box) then Asterisk sends the NOTIFY message.
In the “deleting vm from GUI” case, maybe Asterisk should be triggered by FreePBX…
I don’t know what is the normal behaviour there.
Maybe some FreePBX expert can answer.

For upgrading to real FreePBX, I found the following thread:
http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/installation/latest-trixbox

Should I follow the instructions here ? Is there a more official howto ?

I have just tested this on my system, Asterisk 1.4.26.2 using X-lite SIP-phone.
I copied two files into my voicemail directory, msg0000.wav and msg0000.txt and watched on the phone and on the sip dialog:

NOTIFY sip:[email protected]:14010 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.0.230:5060;branch=z9hG4bK6c943d5a;rport
Route: <sip:[email protected]:14010>
To: <sip:[email protected]:14010>;tag=4a7ac11d
Call-ID: ZWNlZTVjMjM5ZGE2YWQ2MGRjYjEyMGJkMjFiNTM5YjQ.
CSeq: 107 NOTIFY
User-Agent: Asterisk PBX
Max-Forwards: 70
Event: message-summary
Content-Type: application/simple-message-summary
Subscription-State: active
Content-Length: 89

Messages-Waiting: yes
Message-Account: sip:*[email protected]
Voice-Message: 1/0 (0/0)

I then erased the voicemail from within ARI:

NOTIFY sip:[email protected]:14010 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.0.230:5060;branch=z9hG4bK6c943d5a;rport
Route: <sip:[email protected]:14010>
To: <sip:[email protected]:14010>;tag=4a7ac11d
Call-ID: ZWNlZTVjMjM5ZGE2YWQ2MGRjYjEyMGJkMjFiNTM5YjQ.
CSeq: 108 NOTIFY
User-Agent: Asterisk PBX
Max-Forwards: 70
Event: message-summary
Content-Type: application/simple-message-summary
Subscription-State: active
Content-Length: 88

Messages-Waiting: no
Message-Account: sip:*[email protected]
Voice-Message: 0/0 (0/0)

I am running stock Centos, Asterisk compiled by me and FreePBX 2.6.0
It looks like an issue with your setup, or your phone.

All MWI is triggered by a SIP NOTIFY from Asterisk, it is not triggered by FreePBX.

Download the latest Asterisk from asterisk.org and compile it to see if that solves the issue.

Thank you very much for testing this for me.
In fact, I really want to install latest Asterisk and latest FreePBX and get rid of Trixbox. But I am very afraid of breaking something.
Currently, Trixbox uses 1.6.0.10-Foncore version.
I already compiled Asterisk 1.6.0.18 but didn’t install it yet.
What happens if I install it ?

Is it possible to return to 1.6.0.10-Foncore if something goes wrong ?

Btw, what do you refer to when you say ARI ?

ARI is the Recordings interface found in one of the tab in FreePBX.

I am sorry, but your question about if you break something if you upgrade will be left unanswered. You are running trixbox, and that distro messes a lot with their own build of Asterisk and what not. If you want trixbox support ask in the trixbox forums.

If you want to get rid of trixbox then document everything about your setup, download PBX in a Flash, Fonicaproject or AsteriskNOW and use that instead.

I don’t prefer to use AsteriskNOW or any other “ready to go” PBX distros because I am using the box as a router/firewall/dns and email server as well.
I already have a custom kernel on it.
That’s why I’d like to build latest release of Asterisk and FreePBX and begin using them as fast as possible.
Isn’t that a good way to go ?

Hmmm, from your very first post:

And now you say that you don’t have it??? You are quite confusing.

Still, the issue with MWI is an Asterisk issue not a FreePBX one. The issue if something will break if you upgrade, answer is still “I don’t know”. Test it, if it breaks, put the pieces together and try again. Please, remember to take a backup before you begin.

Sorry for misleading you.
I sure have Trixbox 2.8.0.1 ; I didn’t say that I don’t have it.
It’s just that I made several customizations on it.

• compiling a new kernel
  • adding dns/dhcp/email servers
  • adding shorewall firewall

That’s why I don’t prefer to install a new “ready to go” Asterisk distro.

I finally managed to upgrade Asterisk and FreePBX.
Now I have plain asterisk 1.6.0.19 with addons 1.6.0.4
I also installed FreePBX to 2.5.2.2 following the instructions on page:

http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/installation/latest-trixbox

Everything seems fine , except that I still have the "no notify message when deleted voicemail from GUI"
If I delete VM from Asterisk VM extension, I get the notify message for MWI.
But if I delete VM from FreePBX, no notify message is sent.
What is the problem ?

Thanks.

I’d appreciate any comments/help/suggestions.
Thanks.

I am still looking for help on the MWI issue.
Anybody willing to help ?

The problem is solved:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15978

I am surprised to see that it was that easy and I couldn’t get the answer from none of these sources for a long time.

I would blame your phone for that as it seems that the SPA3000 need an additional configuration for MWI.

Solution was to enter subscribemwi=no for the peer with the SPA3000. As the default on Asterisk 1.6 is subscribemwi=yes your phone did not work.

Quote from Asterisk bug tracker:

It seems that this is specific to SPA3000 and Asterisk 1.6. I suggest that you notify the manufacturer for the SPA3000 and ask them if there are any new firmware for the phone.

I have seen in other forums this information:

However, as I don’t have a SPA3000 I can not verify this.