Issue with MWI

Hello,

I have recntly upgraded to the latest freepbx distro (version is 5.211.65-5) and I have an issue with the MWI. In fact, I'm relying on a different ring tone to warn for a new message. So, the way it is now is that each time I receive a voicemail the extension ring every 10 seconds which is obvsiously to much and annoying. Unfortunately I did not find where I can change this behaviour. I change the following parameters but without succes. That didn't change the behaviour of my asterisk.
  • MWI Polling Freq set to 3600

• pollmailboxes set to yes and pollfreq set to 3600

Am I missing something an d where should I look for?

Thank you.

OD

How the phones alert to MWI is a function of the phone, not FreePBX.

Are you using the EPM? Could your phones basefile have gotten overridden? What kind of phones?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The phone that I use is a regular analog phone which is hookep up to a sipura SPA 2000. I'm talking about MWI but in reality it is a ring with a different tone compare to when I receive a real phone call. I have checked the MWI setting on the Sipura Spa and those parameters are set to yes. I understand that the MWI settings are a function of the phone but this does not explain why the phone ring evey 20 seconds when I have a message. Btw, I didn't find a parameter on the sipura spa which could control that number of seconds between two rings. Before I upgrade I didn't have that issue when a message was waiting for me the phone would keep ringing once per hour.

Thank you.

OD

Has to be on the Sipura, audible MWI or some such thing.

Normal action is to stutter dial tone or provide lamp battery.

Hello,

I found some information that the sipura spa rings only when it receives a SIP notify message. So, Probably it receives that message every 20 seconds or so. So, my question would be to know where you can configure that asterisk behaviour? There is maybe a configuration somewhere.

Thank you

OD

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/how-to-set-up-a-linksys-pap2-or-sipura-spa-2000-for-use-with-freepbx

look for “ring splash” (which is what you currently have enabled)

Hello,

I have found that web page and I have already tested that parameter but that's not it. The only thing that this parameter is doing it is to shorten or to lengthen the ring. Eventually if you set it to zero then you don't have anymore ring splash but this is not what I want. I want to have a ring splash but let's say only once per hour. That's why I'm just wondering if there is a way to control the SIP MWI notify messages which are sent by asterisk. If asterisk send this message only once an hour for example then the ^hone will ring only once an hour.

In the following web link, you will find some explanation on the SPA behaviour.

http://www.inphonex.com/knowledgebase/troubleshooting-general-questions-answers.php?action=view&kb_id=30&tag_id=

Thank you.

OD

Then are you saying that the “VMWI Ring Policy” you chose is not being honored?

Hello,

Yes the “VMWI Ring Policy” ring policy is honored. But it is working too well if I can say that in the sense that it rings every 20 seconds. Once an hour would be good enough for me.

In the previous link that I have posted, there is the following information.

VMWI Ring Policy The parameter controls when a ring splash is played when a the VM server sends a SIP NOTIFY message to the SPA indicating the status of the subscriber’s mail box. 3 settings are available: New VM Available – ring as long as there is 1 or more unread voice mail New VM Becomes Available – ring when the number of unread voice mail changes from 0 to non-zero New VM Arrives – ring when the number of unread voice mail increases - New VM Available Ring On No New VM- If enabled, the SPA will play a ring splash when the VM server sends SIP NOTIFY message to the SPA indicating that there are no more unread voice mails.

My VMWI Ring Policy is et as the first one. The one in bold in the text above. It is working but I guess it behaves as the third option. That means that there is a splash ring every time the phone receive a SIP notify a little bit the same behaviour as if you configure the VMWI Ring Policy with the choice #3. Btw, if I stop the asterisk server there is no more splash ring.

Thank you.

OD

I would personally get a phone with a MWI lamp on it, they are much quieter yet equally attention getting :slight_smile:

Hello,

Yes, in an office, I'm agreeing with you but in a regular home I found out that with a sound on a regular basis it was much more efficient at least in my case.

Thank you.

OD