Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument trying to get a RSS feed

Hi!

I get the following error trying to get a RSS feed…

Whoops\Exception\ErrorException
json_encode(): Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument
File:/var/www/html/admin/libraries/BMO/Ajax.class.php:432

And this for the feed itself: “There was an error asking for Blogs. Check the error logs for more information.”

I never seem to find the logs which contains those, any idea which one it is?

I have looked at the feed using my browser and it only seems to contain US-ASCII or encoded Unicode characters and I am pretty familiar with character encodings so I am not quite sure what it is complaining about and would like to look at the appropriate logs…

(OK, there might one one place where it looks a little suspicious…)

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

What, exactly, is the feed you’re trying to view?

Hi Rob!

Hackaday…

http://www.hackaday.com/rss.xml

I just realized though that I was not looking at the right URL before but I see nothing that stands out at first glance now…

Thing is I would like to know in which log to look for those things as I have ghost “Error” messages with no description at all that pops up, database constraints problems with the blogs (it looks like the dashboard wants to insert them in a database and it causes problem with the UK or PK) and now this…

And every time I search for the logs that contains these errors I don’t find it…

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day!

Nick

I think the only place the error is logged is in the browser console window. However, I’m going to add that RSS feed, and see if I can get it to play up, too! :sunglasses:

Edit: Yup! Playing up for me, too.

Edit 2: Fixed in Dashboard 13.0.15.3

1 Like

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww… :disappointed:

I was hoping I would finally know where to look…

I know that when there’s a problem with the blogs it says to check the logs but I thing part of this is at least new code so maybe it was not implemented…

I checked the codes and they seem ok, it’s things like quotes (single or double), ellipsis and the like…

There are also some characters encoded in the URLs like the ampersand but it seems OK too…

Firefox and IE have no trouble displaying with their internal parsers but I don’t know how good a gauge of a feed being OK this is…

Chrome apparently has no RSS parser at all so it’s not pretty to look at unless you love XML… :grinning:

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

The logs are ‘push F12 and look at your browser console’ :sunglasses:

But I fixed it for you!

http://git.freepbx.org/projects/FREEPBX/repos/dashboard/commits/59a976665ef0d7744dc170c104bee06245be2547

1 Like

Thank you!

I was just looking at what you did when you posted this…

You replaced the substr that was there to apparently truncate a description with the multi-byte version of it…

Works perfectly now!!!

Thank you very much and have a nice day!!!

Nick

1 Like

Hi Rob!

That window has taken a day off today (it no longer appears), did the same thing happen to you?

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Nick