Intermittent Incoming Call Failures

Hello all,

We’re using freepbxhosting.com and just recently added a new retail location to our server, adding approximately 13 new extensions effectively doubling our extensions to a total of 26. Since we’ve added the location 2 days ago, we’ve had issues intermittently with incoming external calls not reaching the phones. This is the message I see in the logs:

[2016-08-03 13:55:47] VERBOSE[2625][C-00000914] netsock2.c: == Using SIP RTP TOS bits 184
[2016-08-03 13:55:47] VERBOSE[2625][C-00000914] netsock2.c: == Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
[2016-08-03 13:55:47] NOTICE[2625][C-00000914] chan_sip.c: Call from ‘voipinnovations’ (64.136.174.30:5060) to extension ‘2087128192’ rejected because extension not found in context ‘default’.

This is repeated a few times. The issue fixes itself after about 5 minutes and then reoccurs sporadically throughout the day.

Any ideas?

very strange looking. what context do you have set on your inbound trunk from VI,

Hi Bob,

Here’s my PEER details settings for the trunk:
host=64.136.174.30
type=friend
insecure=port,invite
context=default
dtmfmode=auto
disallow=all
allow=ulaw&alaw

Thanks,
Brett

you need two trunks, one for inbound and one for outbound

inbound
type=friend
host=64.136.173.31
dtmfmode=auto
disallow=all
context=from-trunk
allow=ulaw

Outbound
type=friend
host=64.136.174.30
dtmfmode=auto
disallow=all
context=from-trunk
allow=ulaw

make sure the everything on the incoming tab is clear

Thanks Bob. It’s been a while since I set the trunks up. I did indeed have an inbound trunk with the following settings:

type=friend
host=64.136.173.31
dtmfmode=auto
disallow=all
context=default&from-trunk
allow=ulaw&alaw

Everything on the incoming tab is clear. I’ve switched the inbound trunk over to the settings you’ve provided and I’ll see how it goes. Thanks so much for your assistance!

-Brett

get rid of the default on the context line

1 Like

Done! I’ll reply back once I’ve confirmed the issue is solved (or if it’s not… :wink: ). Thanks again for your help!

Take care,
Brett

The only thing that I’d amplify is the use of the “type” and the context.

The “type=” can be “type=friend” which is the same as “peer+user”, “peer”, or “user”.

The “peer” type is used for your “Peer” section, the “user” type is used for your “user” section. Theoretically, if you have all the same information in the “incoming” and the “outgoing” sections, you can use “type=friend” and have the single trunk work as a bi-directional connection. I set up my “Voip Innovations” connections this way all the time.

If you are not accepting calls on the trunk, you can use “peer” instead of “friend”. If you are accepting calls from a remote connection, but not sending calls out to them, you can specify “user”. So, your “incoming connection” would be a “peer” connection and your outbound configuration would be a “user” type.

Finally, the “context=” line is only really useful on incoming (or bidirectional) connections. The context needs to exist in your configuration. In FreePBX, the “default” context is replaced by “from-trunk”, “from-pstn”, “from-that-long-e164-context-that-deletes-the-weird-stuff” (not it’s real name, unless you create one). While it’s not required that you understand why you are sending your calls to a specific context, it’s never hurts to know why you are making a specific choice.

good explanation on the use of Type.and context

i am curious though as you imply you have just one bi-directional trunk definition for use with VI - i just talked to VI a few minutes ago and they said “We have a dedicated IP address for inbound (64.136.173.31) and outbound (64.136.174.30) so you would need to have multiple trunks configured for use with VI”

I use the firewall for validating their incoming calls to me. The only address I use on my config is their outbound call address (since that’s where I have to send their traffic). The only thing that gets through my firewall from port 5060 is from VI’s servers calling me.

I also set up 2 different trunks for their outbound services (the primary and backup outbound). Both of these are set up a ‘friend’ configurations.

I just double checked, and my entire VI configuration for both connections is on the “Peer Details” section. The “User” section is completely blank.

now i understand what you are doing