Intermittent "DND activated" issue. -RESOLVED- Still have questions

I had a problem crop up this AM that I have not experienced before.

An incoming call would follow my normal ring group path for two ring groups. When it got to the third one (not the final one), the caller would hear “Do Not Disturb, Activated” (might have said "Deactivated) and then disconnected the caller. We were able to reproduce this several times.

I went into FreePBX admin and checked the ring groups and found nothing had been changed. I made no changes, and I tested again. I called in 3 more times, and each of these times the system worked as it should. Passing the call through my 4 ring groups properly. It still appears to be fine.

See modules below.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

FreePBX 2.3.1.1 on 10.0.0.5

Below are hand copied versions from the screens on my system (all enabled).

BASIC
Core 2.3.1.2
Feature Code Admin 1.0.5.3
FreePBX Framework 2.3.1.1
System Dashboard 0.3.3.2
Voicemail 2.0.3.4

CID & NUMBER MANAGEMENT
Phonebook Directory 0.3.1.2
Speed dial functions 1.0.4.2

ITSP
Nothing installed

INBOUND CALL CONTROL
Announcements 0.8.5.2
Blacklist 1.1.3.6
Caller ID Lookup 1.2.1.3
Day Night Mode 1.0.2.4
Follow Me 2.4.13.2
IVR 2.5.15.1
Queues 2.2.13.4
Ring Groups 2.2.16.2
Time Conditions 2.4.3.1

INTERNAL OPTIONS & CONFIGURATION
Call forward 1.1.2
Call waiting 1.1.2.2
Callback 1.4.2.3
Conferences 1.2.2
DISA 2.2.2.3
Dictation 1.1.2.3
Do-Not-Disturb 1.0.2.2
Info Services 1.3.5.1
Misc Applications 0.2.3.5
Misc Destinations 1.3.4.3
Music on hold 1.5.1.5
PIN sets 1.2.2.2
Paginf and Intercom 1.6.6.1
Parking lot 2.1.2.1
Recordings 3.3.5.4

More information.

After some troubleshooting, I have determined it is limited to one particular extension with in the ring group. If I remove that extension from the ring group, the call sequence continues normally.

Further a new but related problem has developed.

If any user calls 4307 (the extension in question), the extension they are calling from activates DND for that station.

For example: If I (ext 4328) call 4307 (and he is available), I hear a message that says “DND activated” and then a hang up. Form that point on MY extension (4328) is on DND until I manually take it off.

If I unplug the DC power supply from the handset, then call the extension, I get the regular voicemail for the user, and my extension DOES NOT go on DND.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

without knowing who’s phone equipment, it’s configuration, etc. you are asking us to take a wild guess? You have provided some very good information above about your software setup and it seems it’s not related to that.

I’d say the phone is either screwed/screwed up and/or the configuration has something seriously wrong. But that’s purely a guess without knowing if it is a soft phone, SIP phone, IAX phone, ATA, etc.

I try my hardest to provide as much info as possible with every post. Unfortunately I am not knowlegable enough to know what information to post relative to a specific issue. Pardon my omission.

The handsets are Polycom IP 301 sip phones. They receive their IP address from a windows server via a DHCP resrvation, then they get their initial “load” via FTP from the freepbx server. I do not know what the initial load sequence is. I have been trying to find that out. Polycom tech support (mail) will only state that it doesn’t appear to be an issue with their phone. They can’t give me info regarding IP 301 boot sequence.

The issue is related to the handset or its configuration. I have double checked and deactivated all call forwarding (in case it was forwarded to a feature code (DND)). I can’t seem to figure it out. It all started yesterday (Monday AM). All other aspects of the system are working properly.

Thanks

Paul…

No problem, you probably didn’t think it was the phone when you started this thread. best place to learn about the boot sequence of polycom phones if from the administrators manual for the phone (I use a different brand).

First off try and re-boot the phone to make sure it’s not a transient error. Next check to see if the phone is somehow forwarded and that the forwarded number is NOT the key sequence for DND.

Past that I’d next swap the config files between a pair of phones and see if the problem follows or not. If it follows it’s a config file problem, if not then it’s a phone/firmware issue.

Most phones load config files based on the mac address of the phones and if I remember correctly Polycom does also. So pull the phones Mac address and look for a file named that plus.cfg and start tracing from there.

This has been a good exercise and I only brought the phone system down twice. No idea why. Fortunately, the issue is resolved. But unfortunately, it has caused me to raise more questions.

The problem was that it was not a FREEPBX DND setting (*78) that caused the problem, but it was that the user fat-fingered the phone and pressed the “FWD” soft key and then (must have) entered *78. Thus a *79 from the number pad wouldn’t have deactivated a soft key entered code. This sounds like it might be a bug. Perhaps the system could interrogate specific feature codes (and compare those against the overrides MAC-PHONE.CFG file) before allowing a caller’s phone to be affected by the system they are calling into. Just a thought. I am not a coder.

So what have I learned ? Please help me learn by correcting any inaccuracies.

1. If user enters a *78 via the FWD softkey, when a call comes in to ANY ring group that has the “bad” extension in it, if the caller has a handset that recognizes the *78 code, they will be on DND (without their knowledge).

2. The boot sequence is (at least for the Polycom ip301):

Get IP info from a DHCP server.
Get a MAC.CFG file from the freePBX server.
Get an EXTENSION.CFG from the freePBX server.
Get any HANDSET overrides from the overrides directory specified in MAC.CFG.
Load "Application"
Load sip.ld
Process “CFG”.

Did I get this right so far?

What else did I learn?
3. That it appears that any settings on the HANDSET that are changed via the menu key, appears to make a change in the MAC-PHONE.CFG file. NOT in the asterisk database. IE the difference mentioned above between the “FWD” softkey and the “*78” entered into the database.

How did I do. Any corrections?

Thanks

Paul …

your statement #3 is wrong. A phone should not in anyway change a config file resident on the server. The phone has it’s own memory for local overrides. The one polycom phone we have does not touch it’s configs if we make changes and that would be a bad thing from a administrative standpoint anyway.

You’ll need to do some reading on how polycom configs work. But the mac-phone.cfg determines what other configs are loaded and in what order.

F,

I agree that there should be no way that a handset should alter a config file on the server, but I have to report that that is the case here.

For example:

If I look at my MAC-PHONE.CFG file I see:

OVERRIDES up.headsetMode=“1” reg.1.ringType=“4” reg.1.fwdContact=“4015887” reg.1.fwdStatus=“0”

If I then press the FWD softkey on my handset and enter 2223334444 and press the enable soft key. I can go and look at my MAC-PHONE.CFG file and I now see:

OVERRIDES up.headsetMode=“1” reg.1.ringType=“4” reg.1.fwdContact=“2223334444” reg.1.fwdStatus=“1”

If I press the FWD and teh disable softkeys on my handset I can then look at the MAC-PHONE.CFG and see:

OVERRIDES up.headsetMode=“1” reg.1.ringType=“4” reg.1.fwdContact=“2223334444” reg.1.fwdStatus=“0”

Notice that the fwdStatus has changed as has the fwdContact.

I’m not saying it’s right, just that it is what is happening. Any thoughts on where to start chsing this down?

Tnx

Paul…