Install on a Fedora 18 / Gnome Desktop

Hello
I have the freepbx-2.10.0.tar.gz file extracted to the desktop as freepbx-2.10.0. How do I go about installing it? I’ve read the readme file and it say’s it’s out of date. Some of the documentation (that I navigate to in the forums) seems old. So, how do I install freepbx-2.10.0 on my machine?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Simply because you are asking, I seriously suggest you don’t do that as you will run into any number of pre-requisites. Use the preferred stable iso from here.

I concur, you really should use a pre-built distro instead of trying to build one from a generic Fedora install.

Asterisk has a ton of dependencies and some of them will need to be downloaded in source and compiled…

FreePBX has some more and again, some might need to be compiled…

Fedora has bleeding edge versions of apps, libraries, kernel modules, supporting apps, etc that might be too new for Asterisk or Freepbx, and require a ton of tweaking to get to work with the automated scripts…

I think FreePBX actually plays nicer in CentOS IMHO.

If you need X and a Gnome Desktop, you can always add it to the FreePBX distro with appropriate yum commands.

If you must keep Fedora, you can always install the Distro into a KVM/QEMU/XEN virtual on top of Fedora.

You should be running in init3 not init5 (X windows Gnome GUI). If you are running in init5 all bets are off. I don’t know if it works or how well it works. I don’t think it works at all or very poorly.

Go to terminal window…su…type “init 3”. To make it permanent edit /etc/inittab and change the following line to “id:3:initdefault:”