Increasing "Total active calls"

Our “Total active calls” maxed out at 12 today and gave a busy signal for any other calls after that.

Is there any way to increase this number? We will be opening a Customer Service deparment here in a few weeks and need to have more than 12 people on hold when waiting for reps.

this question is similar to asking how long is my piece of string. it is impossible to answer unless you provide more information. what kind of trunks do you have and how much capacity is your provider supplying? is it maxing out on your server or at the provider? if it is maxing out on your server, can you provide logs? configuration info? have you set up a queue that fails over under certain conditions?

We have one outgoing trunk and one incoming, both with 1,000 max channels.

We have 16 extensions at the moment with plans to add 30+ more.

My question really is “What is ‘Total active calls’” on the main freepbx screen? What is it counting? How would I increase the maximum amount of “Total active calls” we can have?

total active calls is the total number of calls going on but this number can be deceptive if you have queues involved since what to an ordinary person would be considered a single call can in fact be multiple calls e.g. trunk to queue, queue to agent are separate calls so immediately the total active calls is twice what you think of as real active calls.

freePBX places no limits on active calls unless you have set those parameters on the trunks or queues [the defaults are unlimited]. the “1000 max channels” sounds dubious to me unless you are paying a small fortune. without seeing any logs i cannot say for certain but i would hazard a guess that the busy signal you are receiving is coming from the provider because the trunk has hit some form of capacity - either the provider lied when they said 1000 channels or you do not have enough bandwidth in place to support more than 12 active calls.

fyi, looking through my servers, i am routinely handling 200+ active calls in call centers and have stretched it as high as 350 without any breakdowns taking place.

I just set it to 1,000 because our provider told us it was unlimited. I do not intend on using 1,000 channels at one time.

How can freepbx determine how many calls our provider can take?

We where at 12/12 in “Total Active Calls” the next call busied out.

If X/12 means our provider can only do 12 simultaneous calls then its not respecting the 1000 I put for the incoming and outgoing trunks. If it can’t see that our provider can only take 12 calls where does the number 12 in “X/12 Total Active calls” come from.

freePBX does not tell your provider anything. the number of channels a provider will enable is going to be part of the service contract you have with them. providers all have different ways of pricing and provisioning so you need to find out from them how many channels you currently are paying for.

additionally, you have not said what bandwidth you have available for this trunk. what are you using to carry the trunk and what codec is being used? this could also be limiting the number of channels.

i am going to speculate since you are providing so little information. since this always hits the maximum at exactly 12, chances are the provider has a limit of 12 channels.

providers often say “unlimited” but that is simply not being truthful. to a home user or very small business, 12 would seem unlimited but obviously in a call center, 12 is far from sufficient. you should understand that if a provider really means “unlimited” then they could in theory have to provide the 1000 channels which would mean to you would need massive bandwidth [probably something of the order of a T3 which around here still costs about $3,000 per month].

so: how much bandwidth do you have dedicated to this? and how many channels does your provider really supply? these are the two questions you need to look for. freePBX is not your problem here unless you have overridden the default [unlimited] on the trunk or the queue.

SERIOUSLY? I never blamed it on my provider you did. You asked me how many channels and I replied with the answer.
My question was never why am I being blocked by my provider. I am not maxing out my provider’s channels or my bandwidth so I’m not sure why you keep bringing that up…

MY question is:
In the main FreePBX page there is a section that says “Total active calls 0/12”. Please ignore the fact that once it hit 12 my phone busied out, I just want to know where does FreePBX get the 12 from? What determines the number 12 in the screen I am referring to.

Once again my question is:
In the main FreePBX page there is a section that says “Total active calls 0/12”. Please ignore the fact that once it hit 12 my phone busied out, I just want to know where does FreePBX get the 12 from? What determines the number 12 in the screen I am referring to.

Where are you seeing the 0/12 on your box, My total active calls has just a single number, and that number is the number of active calls. What distro are you using? What FreePBX ver? What Asterisk version?

That being said, I do recall a parameter in the sip_additional.conf file. The parameter is call-limit. Might want to see how yours is set and diddle with it.

FreePBX 2.6.0.1
Asterisk 1.4.30

What’s weird it just went up to 0/16… Not sure why because I haven’t changed anything.

Before you go Live, I’d upgrade to FreePBX 2.7.

What Distro?

Did you see the added remark in my last post?

That being said, I do recall a parameter in the sip_additional.conf file. The parameter is call-limit. Might want to see how yours is set and diddle with it.

Linux asterisk.corp 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5PAE #1

I’ll check out sip_additional.conf and make sure I update to the latest before going live.

Yeah the limit in sip_additional is set to 50.

Maybe an update would get rid of the limit…

Are you seeing the “0/12” in the statistics box on the dashboard?

BF

Correct I am seeing it in the statistics box.
Here is a screenshot:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5056/statistics.png

Ok…

It’s the mouseover tooltip. Wasn’t even looking there. Mine is showing 18/326
right now.

BF

From the asterisk cli> type “sip show peers” How many peers show up?

sip show peers should show the number of sip extensions configured.

That shows my extensions and trunks.
vitel-outbound 64.2.142.215 N 5060 Unmonitored
vitel-inbound2 64.2.142.90 N 5060 Unmonitored
vitel-inbound 66.241.96.96 N 5060 Unmonitored
6629/6629 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
6461 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
5992/5992 172.16.9.103 D N A 5060 OK (4 ms)
5947/5947 172.16.5.145 D N A 25158 OK (104 ms)
5940/5940 172.16.5.116 D N A 5061 OK (5 ms)
5894/5894 172.16.9.171 D N A 5060 OK (3 ms)
5881/5881 172.16.9.202 D N A 5060 OK (4 ms)
5874/5874 172.16.9.175 D N A 5060 OK (3 ms)
5865 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
5864/5864 172.16.11.127 D N A 5060 OK (3 ms)
5858/5858 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
5819/5819 172.16.11.157 D N A 5060 OK (3 ms)
5802 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN
1000/1000 172.16.67.105 D N A 17326 OK (103 ms)
100 (Unspecified) D N A 0 UNKNOWN

Please did you solve your probleme ?

I have “0/6” in the statistics box on the dashboard … and my provider told me that the call-limit on my sip acount is unlimited , so why “0/6” on my dashboard ?

Thanks!!

If you are referring to the tooltip, and if I am not mistaken, that is simply a reflection of the total current calls compared to the total of all calls that the current display of the dashboard has seen since it has been up.

This would not even be the total that Asterisk has seen. (It’s probably a bit misleading and should not show the max it has seen but …)